Computer Help forum

Question

Why is my new rig performing worse than the old one?

by ET_CaughDrop / June 18, 2012 5:52 AM PDT

i recently purchased and built my 4th custom pc. i build them once every 4 years or so to keep up to date with the latest games and hardware. my new rig features an AMD FX-6200 6-core processor, and a sapphire radeon HD 6950 2gb video card. as well as 8gb ddr3 ram. now for some reason, this machine will get jittery frames and/or even worse frames than my previus machine (featuring an AMD Athlon II x2 220, with a radeon HD6670 1gb) this only happens in some games though. like Portal 2, Minecraft, and Diablo 3. while in every other game, this rig performs outstandingly better than the old one. if anyone knows the answer i would be very grateful for your advice

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my new rig performing worse than the old one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my new rig performing worse than the old one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most common cause? No one knows how to install Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2012 7:28 AM PDT

Looking at your post all I see is the usual story but have to guess someone installed Windows and didn't finish the install.

I can't offer the exact procedure but the maker of the machine should be keel hauled until they tell you the exact and working install plan.
Bob

Collapse -
can you elaborate?
by ET_CaughDrop / June 18, 2012 10:34 AM PDT

can you elaborate a little more on that? i see what you mean, but i've never had this problem before and have been working with Win7 since it first launched. i installed the OS then went through Windows Update and installed every other important update (such as Service Pack 1 and other updates). was there something i missed?

Collapse -
No I can't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2012 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: can you elaborate?

I don't see the details to share if there is a helper app that needs installing but you did give up a good clue.

The install of Windows you described is what I see many folk do today and the results are telling the story for me. Think back to the days of old (Windows 2000). That is, where did you go get the drivers for the motherboard and more?

It's not automatic.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2012 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: No I can't.

Again, I can't guess what the proper install is here. In short it's install the OS, then drivers from the maker but only the machine's integrator should know what drivers and what order to install them.

What's new is that sometimes you have to install "helper apps" which are not drivers but can be very important to get the speed out of the system. Again, the person who designed the PC and integrated it is the one you hammer for the Windows install procedure.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Checklist
by Willy / June 19, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

Here's what I do:

1) install OS and all updates
2) check and verify for any bios updates
3) install drivers for all devices AND! proper X86 or X64
4) Now use your PC

Understand games themselves can be an issue. They too have to be capable and kept up-to-date by the maker. In some cases that is not soon enough. Further, it may not be so compatible to your current setup as it lags behind. Next, some games just aren't too keen to take advantage of any newer configuration as explained above. Thus, check and update/patches any games or at least check.

If problems still arise and everything but a game seems to flauter then consider you've done everything possible. For now I exclude any "cooling" issues, because gaming places demands on a PC in the high-end, so it pays to keep your PC well cooled.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
i've fixed almost everything...
by ET_CaughDrop / June 21, 2012 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Checklist

i've managed to to a combination of driver updates & reinstalls, game updates, software packages, windows updates, and now everything is running great.. except for portal 2. for some reason, i get 100+ frames on every other game or program/application, but can only manage to squeeze out 20-26 frames on portal 2 on the lowest possible settings (even at 800x600 resolution)

Collapse -
From another post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 1:03 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.