How To forum

Why is my hard drive nearly always full?

by zeedonk / May 20, 2012 12:36 PM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 537 running Vista Home Basic

My C drive says the following (and the icon is red- nearly full)
"2.09GB free of 289GB"

It's been nearly full for several months now (5 or 6). I have not noticed the hard drive filling up for no reason, but I can't figure out why it's so nearly full.

I have backed up the C drive on a 1TB external HD, so all photos, video etc are all safe. I have taken almost all photos video and music off the C drive without a significant reduction in C drive space.

I have run Kaspersky scans with no virus found.

I have snooped around the C drive files- Windows, Program Files, etc and don't see anything that appears to be eating up space.

Today, I did see this file on my C drive: "C:\dff1a9c53e9b7f24caa0eeda3bd279a7"hich appears to be some kind of a MPSigStub program created yesterday (I did not create it). I have researched this and the jury seems to be out on if I can delete it (I suspect I can b/c it's not located where the other MPSigStub resides so maybe not a part of the usual Windows update)

I don't really wanna go poking around in my Program Files to try to guess what I can delete to open up some space.

How can I free up some space on this C drive?

Any help is appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my hard drive nearly always full?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my hard drive nearly always full?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you check
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 11:26 PM PDT

the Recycle Bin and empty it?

Have you also reduced your System Restore backup points recently?

About that folder with the long name. Try renaming the name from "dff1a9c53e9b7f24caa0eeda3bd279a7" to "dff1a9c53e9b7f24caa0eeda3bd279a7-old".

If the system doesn't complain at the next reboot, then its likely it can be deleted. Then send it to the Recycle Bin, (empty the bin first), for a few days as a further check, then empty the Recycle Bin if nothing happens.

Collapse -
Why is my hard drive nearly always full?
by zeedonk / May 21, 2012 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you check

I have not looked at the System Restore backup points, but I will.

How can that help?

Collapse -
System Restore points
by KenHusveg / May 21, 2012 1:18 AM PDT

Removing older System Restore points can save you a few Gigabits. Run Windows Disk Cleanup for all users, click on the More Options tab and hit the System Restore, Cleanup button. What a minute and then hit OK. This will remove un-needed Restore points but save recent.

Collapse -
Disk Space Analyzer
by KenHusveg / May 21, 2012 12:29 AM PDT

Disk Space Analyzers are handy for finding space hogs. A couple of good ones are, "SpaceSniffer" and "WinDirStat". There are tons of reasons why a disk might be filling up, using a graphical space analyzer can help nail down the culprits. Often you'll be surprised.

Collapse -
by rocketcab / September 25, 2014 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Disk Space Analyzer

Thank you so much for suggesting "SpaceSniffer" Disc Space Analyzer.... It's very easy-to-use freeware that downloads in just minutes and graphically analyzes hard disc files (and their properties) in mere seconds.... making it extremely easy to locate (and delete) those files consuming the most hard drive space.... In my case, it was old, old media files that ate away over a hundred gig's of C-drive.... This utility found those files, where they were hiding for years, in just a few seconds.... I was able to delete the problem files from right inside the program itself.... Talk about "convenient" !!!

Collapse -
You must constantly remove, delete or un-install programs.
by 3JGProductions / May 26, 2012 9:33 AM PDT

Computers are not like TV, you turn it on and it works. As a Computer End-User you become the Maintenance Person or Administrator of that computer. When others Log-in you check your computer for un-needed programs, or to see if something was downloaded onto your hard-Drive. I can look at Program and Windows folder and tell immediately if some program does not belong, Everybody has a TOOL BAR application, how many do you need, most does the same-thing, and many are powered by Google, so why have it, and they want to add something or APPS.

Duplication of Programs, such as Media Players most does the same thing and bring extra APPS, and Cookies, clear your Cooies to free up space, Deframent as often, on Control Panel get rid of programs requiring excessive space. If you Download Programs, after install get rid of it from downloads. Just a reminder, when you Poke Around in Programs or Windows file, the System will tell you if the progam is deleteable, and its your End-Users job to constantly look in these file for Malicous Software. There are many programs avaiable to do this, but, "Curosity Killed the Cat", I will look often!

Collapse -
A system optimization tool may help you
by VVKarl / May 27, 2012 7:41 PM PDT

install an optimization tool and clear some unnecessary files/perform disk defragment.

Collapse -
Bad answer.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 7:58 PM PDT

Defragment doesn't free a single byte. And most system optimization programs don't clean files, just change settings.

Collapse -
clean up you PC
by datarecovery2012 / May 29, 2012 12:40 PM PDT

always clean the don't-needs and release your space.

Collapse -
Tried Defragment?
by VVKarl / May 31, 2012 7:50 PM PDT

Change it to d/program files ..... when installing a program , do not put everything in your C disk.
Use system optimization tool to defrag your hard drives.Try Cloud System Booster. Hope it helps.

Collapse -
Re: defragment
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 31, 2012 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried Defragment?

- As I said in answer to your previous post in this thread: defragment doesn't free disc space. Why do you repeat such a bad advice?
- It's not d/program files. It's d:\program files at best. But why do you think that laptop has 2 hard drive partitions? It's nowhere said.
- And we don't recommend a program like cloud system booster (and a lot of programs like it) to make a PC faster. They hardly work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.