Small business & Startups forum

Question

Why is my (great!) company website PageRank zero?

by finguyen / October 4, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

Hello,

I am seeking advice on PageRank for a small business (legal management consulting firm) that I work for. As a new graduate with little SEO experience (beyond what I have read in SEO for Dummies and conflicting information I have gotten from the internet), I have been tasked to diagnose what is going on with our company website's PageRank.

The problem is that we have a great site with solid design, robust content, and have been around since 2006, yet our PageRank sits at a measly zero. We cannot figure out why.

Here is a quick overview of what we have done:

- The website was set up by people without technical backgrounds in 2006. These were bright liberal arts types who first set up the site using Homestead.
- Then we upgraded the site and started using Squarespace as our design template. Our website redirects to the Squarespace site, where the Squarespace site is masked.
- We have never engaged in any malicious activity, never done anything inappropriate, and have not broken any Google rules (to our knowledge).
- Our site has over 40 backlinks, 30+ pages of quality content (several hundred words each page), we are indexed, our pages have metatags, we use headers/bullets/italics correctly, we link internally on each page, are navigation/user friendly, and have an updated sitemap.

Any advice you would have for me would be extremely appreciated. What are we doing wrong? How can we improve our PageRank? You can find our website here: www.argopoint.com.

I am new at this job; thank you in advance for helping me make a good impression. Also, I have never posted on a forum before, so please excuse any forum etiquette breaches that might arise in this posting!

Best,

Fi

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my (great!) company website PageRank zero?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my (great!) company website PageRank zero?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you done your research? Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 6:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes and No?
by finguyen / October 4, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my post! The short answer is yes and no. Basically:

Yes. I have been reading SEO for Dummies and reading a lot of things online, the latter of which tends to be conflicting and confusing. I read through the link you posted. I did not know that metatags are now becoming insignificant, I do know that keywords are important and I think we are doing that well, and we have descriptive, correct titles. We have not resubmitted to Google and other search engines, as we are waiting to do that after we repair whatever it is that is "broken" with our site. The part that recommends getting links from related sites -- the nature of our business being management consulting, it is hard to do this because we cannot breach client confidentiality. We are, however, currently working on getting more links from reputable sites.

No. I have not read through all the resources listed in the link you posted. I will do so asap. I have been trying to do research and repair on my own, but thought reaching out to a forum with experts could be a great way to identify some of the more glaring problems with the site.

Thank you again for your help!

Fi

Collapse -
Since you didn't resubmit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes and No?

You may forever be in Purgatory waiting to find out.
Bob

Collapse -
Good Point
by finguyen / October 4, 2012 8:19 AM PDT

You make a good point. Thank you!

Collapse -
Glad my short reply was enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Point

It's the really really short version of something I read looking for a prior discussion.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.