Storage forum

Question

Why is my flash drive not copying properly in windows 7/xp?

by Lycanthrokeith / November 18, 2012 2:01 AM PST

Hello!

I'm having an odd problem with a new Toshiba flash drive. I have two PC's, one running XP (for downloading) and one running Windows 7 (main PC).

I've formatted it in XP, and let both systems recognize the drive.

In both 7 and XP, the flash drive does all kinds of strange things. It's not copying some of the files, but it lists as being filled to capacity. In one case, it listed as having 38 GB of data, on a 32 GB capacity drive. In some cases, it apparently stops copying halfway through, but shows all the folders anyway.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my flash drive not copying properly in windows 7/xp?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my flash drive not copying properly in windows 7/xp?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
We need to discuss FILE SYSTEMS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 2:12 AM PST

Your common XP to 7 PC uses NTFS and most sticks are FAT32. This can lead to exactly the issue you noted.

You can also use a better app to copy files and folders. I'll give a link after my first name.
Bob

-> http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

Collapse -
Never Knew That
by Lycanthrokeith / November 18, 2012 8:39 AM PST

Interesting, thanks.

Is there an easy way to determine which type of file system a flash drive is, or any way the system type can be switched? Nothing was mentioned about NTFS or FAT32 on the packaging or in the eBay listing I purchased it from.

I've never had a problem like this before; I have a Sandisk Cruzer and a PNY drive that work just fine between the systems, and the Cruzer is several years old.

I'll most likely be returning this one. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
First, a bad drive is a bad drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Never Knew That

I can't fix that by changing the file system. And you can see which file system it is in explorer with a right click properties so take a look.

Also, when you format the drive it usually offers which file system to use. Your choice it seems.
Bob

Collapse -
Understood
by Lycanthrokeith / November 18, 2012 11:54 AM PST

I've returned the drive for a refund. Thanks for the help.

--Keith

Collapse -
Answer
Format flash drive
by mihay / November 19, 2012 5:40 PM PST

Format flash drive in Xp ...

But ...

You've returned the drive ....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.