Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why is my D drive almost full??How do I empty it?

by xspainx69 / August 19, 2008 11:19 AM PDT

Hello everyone:

I am having a problem with my computer which is a POS.

Brief Specs:

Intel Celeron D
Win XP Home SP2
HP Pavilion 061
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HP_COMP
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model ED822AA-ABA a1101n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2933 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.08, 5/9/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 944.52 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.09 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 86.19 GB (92,541,169,664 bytes)
Free Space 66.89 GB (71,819,972,608 bytes)
Volume Name HP_PAVILION
Volume Serial Number 1CC60643

Drive D:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System FAT32
Size 6.96 GB (7,471,329,280 bytes)
Free Space 1.83 GB (1,960,820,736 bytes)
Volume Name HP_RECOVERY
Volume Serial Number 42AE5CCE

My problem is that my D drive as you can see doesnt have so much room left. When I start up my computer it takes a year and a month to load up all the start up icons on the bottom right by the clock. I deleted many programs and used "Defragment & Disk Clean up" it didnt do much in regards to giving me more speed.

Why is the D drive filling up? Is there a way in which I can make it stop filling itself up? Is there a way for me to delete the stuff in the D drive to free up more space?

Is there any solutions as opposed to "reformating".

I am not very computer savy so I really need step by step instructions to fix this problem.

I appreciate everyones help.

Thanks
Manny

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my D drive almost full??How do I empty it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my D drive almost full??How do I empty it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's normal
by Jimmy Greystone / August 19, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

That's normal, since that is a special recovery partition. It contains everything needed to revert your system back to factory spec. You should just leave it be.

In the future though, you might want to avoid brands like HP and Compaq (same company) and Acer, Gateway, and Emachines (same company). Based on my observations, those brand systems have disproportionately high complaint rates compared to other brands. I tend to think it has to do with shoddy build quality and/or lax quality control, but the why isn't really all that important. What is important, is that these brands seem to make up more than their fair share of the total number of complaints. That says something to me, and it's basically to stay far far away.

Collapse -
Brands
by xspainx69 / August 20, 2008 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: That's normal

Ok I should stay away from these brands...So what do I do now?

Collapse -
Nothing
by Jimmy Greystone / August 20, 2008 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Brands

Nothing is what you do for the problem you started this discussion about, because it's not actually a problem. It's a special recovery partition you're complaining about, and it's supposed to be mostly full, because it's generally only just big enough (to the nearest GB usually) to hold everything needed to restore the system back to factory spec. It's probably best to just leave that partition alone, and pretend like it doesn't exist.

If your computer is running slowly, then that's a whole other issue. It's hard to say from what little info you gave about the slow performance, but a good place to start is what do you do about virus and spyware/malware prevention/cleanup?

Collapse -
Anti-Virus
by xspainx69 / August 20, 2008 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing

I am using Norton Internet Security 2008 & Norton Systemworks.

I think my main problem with my computer is that when I am starting up the computer it takes forever for the start up items on the bottom right near the clock to load up. Im there hearing the computer fan turn on and make all these noises for about 5 minutes.

Sometimes when I am on internet explorer looking at web sites a message will pop up near the clock saying "Windows Virtual Memory Low!" and suddenly more internet browsing slows up.

Collapse -
We have naysayers for every brand. On topic...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
delete d drive icons
by fxmkdrive / August 20, 2010 7:32 AM PDT

how do I determine which icons are safe to delete from driver file?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.