Windows Legacy OS forum

Why is my control panel not responding??

by sparkync / February 13, 2013 11:46 PM PST

I have an older computer that I think I need to delete some programs because it is going real slow and doing crazy stuff when I switch windows. I tried to uninstall 1 particular program which I think might be sapping the energy supply, but the "uninstall program" tab is not responding. Could someone please help. thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my control panel not responding??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my control panel not responding??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Look at what detail you supplied.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 11:53 PM PST

There is no make, model and detail that gives us reason to see why you think it's the power (energy) supply. When power supplies are over taxed the PCs freeze, reboot or shutdown. They have yet to slow down.

Slow down is often due to malware, poor maintenance by the owner (ask them about canned air and if they ask what that is, you know.)

Here's Grif with some malware scanners ->;msg5099421

Collapse -
To speed your computer up...
by wpgwpg / February 14, 2013 12:19 AM PST

Click Start and in the RUN box type MSCONFIG, then click the Startup tab. There is the list of many programs being started. To speed things up, you can uncheck anything but your antivirus program. Try 2 or 3 of these at a time, reboot, and see if that improves performance. I usually leave the hardware related things checked because they don't usually take much resource, and can be handy.

Collapse -
It's not obvious what "Uninstall program" tab you mean
by wpgwpg / February 14, 2013 12:15 AM PST

You should go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, then find the program you want to uninstall, right-click it, then click uninstall. Is that what you're doing? As Bob suggests, it's not at all clear whether you're doing that or not.

Collapse -
More info
by sparkync / February 14, 2013 12:37 AM PST

Sorry, I didn't give any more information. I have Windows XP, Windows 7. I will try some of the things mentioned. It is an older computer that I don't do a lot on, so the maintenance may be lacking. I recently did do a "disk cleanup" and "Defragmentation". I'm trying to remove some old files that I don't need anymore, and that is where I am having problems. thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by sparkync / February 14, 2013 12:52 AM PST

Yes, I'm going to the Add/Remove Programs, but it will not open up so I can select which program I want to uninstall. . Thanks

Collapse -
There is malware that does that. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: add/remove

The malware does that to block removal.

Collapse -
by sparkync / February 14, 2013 1:56 AM PST

How do I get rid of it? The Norton I have installed now was supposed to block it. Thanks

Collapse -
First you scan for it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Malware

As to Norton, it only blocks what it knows. Also, if you install some app, unless it's something it knows is bad, it let's it get installed.

-> You bring up a good point. Has the day come where PCs should be under some control by others such as Apple or Microsoft without the "Personal" choices? That is, most of the malware I encounter was installed by the owner. Norton and other such tools can only block what they know about so what is the cure?

Collapse -
by sparkync / February 14, 2013 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: First you scan for it.

Is there a way to override the settings that possible "malware" has created? Of course if it is "malware" causing THIS problem, it may be causing the other problems I have that I thought was just "overload" of my hard drive. How do I fix it?? Thanks...

Collapse -
How to fix it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Overide

Many of us use Grif's fine advice I shared in my first post. There are many other factors that could be at play here but I've yet to see where you began the scanning.

Instead you share you have Norton so we get to discuss that's not enough and why.

If you feel your hard drive is overloaded, that is, full, given you've had XP for over a decade you should be pretty good at making space by moving old files out to backup or the trash bin.

Collapse -
by sparkync / February 14, 2013 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: How to fix it?

Sorry, I was too much of a hurry to catch the links. I'm sure these are reputable links. I can't hardly stand to go through any more "hang ups" than I already have. I just got over a month's worth with my main computer ( glitch in IE ). I'll try to look more into it when I get time. Thanks a lot for your help.

Collapse -
Have you tried Safe Mode?
by wpgwpg / February 14, 2013 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: add/remove

Safe Mode often gets you around some of these problems. It is also best for checking for malware too since some of it can hide itself from the antivirus checkers in normal mode.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.