Computer Help forum

Question

Why is my computer date and time keeps changing?

by pokeredfaced / August 31, 2011 8:04 PM PDT

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite R840-12C when I was in UAE two weeks ago and my problem is that date and time keeps changing. Example: let's say that the date today is 9/1/2011 and the time is 5:43 PM. Once I rebooted my system, the date and time becomes 8/31/2011 & 5:43 AM. Some people told me that the problem is CMOS battery but it couldn't be since it is new. I cannot contact the store because right now I'm here in Singapore.

specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6450M
Intel Core-i5 2nd generation (2.30 GHz)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my computer date and time keeps changing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my computer date and time keeps changing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
time and date is changing?
by hawkinsmyra / October 13, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

My computer clock and date is changing and will not keep the correct time. My Computer was purchased in Feb. 2011 and have never had this happen with a laptop before.

Collapse -
(NT) First idea. Check your TIME ZONE settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / August 31, 2011 10:52 PM PDT

Well, the CMOS battery is a good guess, and I'll just say that I've had a system brand new from the factory, and within a week the CMOS battery was dead. How new the computer is doesn't matter. The battery could have been sitting in inventory somewhere for years, or it could just be one of those defective ones that slip through the cracks of statistic sampling for quality assurance.

Still, I think the problem is more that your time zone is still set for UAE and hasn't been updated to reflect being in Singapore now, so every so often Windows will check in with some time server on the Internet, get the proper time for the time zone you have set, and make sure the two match.

Collapse -
Re: timezone
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Well

I had been thinking about that. But in the example given by the OP, the difference is exactly 1 day (24 hours). I didn't check, but I guess the timezone difference between UAE and Singapore is 4 or 5 hours. So that doesn't fit.
But maybe the OP gave a wrong example.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 11:29 PM PDT

I traveled far and Windows synced the time to the local timezone. You want want to disable that if this is unacceptable.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
re : Why is my computer date and time keeps changing?
by FilthElement / October 13, 2011 2:14 PM PDT

Try disabling the automatic internet synchronisation in windows and disable the automatic daylight savings adjustment, but leave the incorrect time alone.
then shut down and restart the computer and change the time and date in BIOS.
After windows starts check to see if the time and date has changed, if not switch the computer off for a few hrs and restart and check the bios settings to see if it has changed, if so, your CMOS battery is probably dead.

Collapse -
Time and Date Changing
by tarnall / March 24, 2013 3:36 PM PDT

My computer just started to changing the time and date, but I don't travel. I changed the 3v CMOS battery and it still does the same thing. I have had this computer for over 5 years, I didn't think about the computer deciding on it's own to search the internet for some correct time. I have another HDD in the machine running Linux/Ubuntu. I will use the OS for a while to see if the time still changes or not. Terry, Hayward, CA, USA

Collapse -
Answer
CMOS batteries and BIOS
by mjd420nova / March 25, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

Not only does the CMOS battery keep the clock running but holds your systems BIOS settings when powered down. The date the unit keeps coming up with is the date of the BIOS, it appears because it had to default. CMOS batteries are the cause of the strangest and difficult problems to diagnose because they don't usually appears as apparently. The battery may be a button cell or even hidden capacitors under a chip socket. Some of older Toshibas had a two part CMOS cell arrangement and was quite difficult to replace. Take it back.

Collapse -
Date and Time Changing.
by tarnall / March 25, 2013 2:24 PM PDT

Welp, I have three HDD in this computer, one running my orginal Win7, one running Ubuntu and another one I just installed with a fresh copy of Win7. Times and dates still changing. I have already put a new button cell in the first time I noticed the problem. So I took one of the suggestion I read about on this blog...I turned off the Automatic Internet time set, one at a time for all three HDD/OSs. So far to good. I'll know more tomorrow when I wake up the computer again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.