Mac OS forum

General discussion

Why is iPhoto so darn slow?

by macncheese--2008 / November 1, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

iPhoto takes forever to do just about anything--maybe I have too many photos in it? (I shoot in RAW too which is big). Do I need another photo archiving program and any recommendations?

(I have a MacBook and have upgraded the RAM to the max ... but only iPhoto runs painfully slow and crashes a lot ...)

thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is iPhoto so darn slow?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is iPhoto so darn slow?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was this always the case?
by grimgraphix / November 1, 2007 4:54 AM PDT

If the poor performance is recent, then have you thought about reinstalling the bundled software from your installation disc?

Collapse -
it's been a little while
by macncheese--2008 / November 1, 2007 5:29 AM PDT

that it's been so slow. getting worse all the time though. do you think the bundled software would help? i don't even know what that is, but i could check.

Collapse -
I was just looking at a friend's macbook...
by grimgraphix / November 1, 2007 6:19 AM PDT

... and noticed that his original installation discs offered an option to install just the bundled software instead of the whole OS. I would imagine this would allow you to reinstall your original iLife software (if it had become corrupted somehow).

Warning !!! I do not know if this option allows you to archive your original songs, photos, movies built in iMove, etc. Consequently, if you try this option, you might want to make complete backups of all your photos, songs, etc.

That being said... I googled to see if there was reports of poor performance using RAW images in iLife '06 iPhoto. I found nothing indicating there was some common complaint... consequently, the first thing that comes to my mind is the software may have become buggy. However, I don't shoot RAW so I have no personal experience with any potential problems. Maybe you have so many RAW images that the new iLife '08 may offer you better performance? Or maybe it is time for you to try out Aperture, which by all I have read, is the ideal mac application for managing RAW images (I sound like an advertisement there but - sad to say - apple did not pay me to write that).

Wink

Anyway, someone may have better advice than me. I'm assuming that you have repaired permissions on a regular basis, so the only thing I could think of was maybe your software has become slightly corrupted. Reinstallation may tweak it back to a faster performance.

good luck

grim

Collapse -
I find similar with WMP In Windows.
by Me, Myself and You / November 7, 2007 10:06 PM PST

Windows Media Player in Windows is my favourite player, but it struggles to handle my modest collection which is touching on 5GB of songs. Winamp tends to give me a break, but I don't really like its interface.

Anyway. Some stock programs just don't seem to be able to cut it with larger collections, and since you mentioned your RAW files, I'd consider alternative. I don't personally use iPhoto (my Mac I mainly just use Photoshop) so I can't personally vouch for it.

Me new to Mac so I can't recommend anything else either...

Collapse -
Forums?
by bstellar / November 3, 2007 6:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
You Don't Say..
by lampietheclown / November 12, 2007 10:26 PM PST

... how many files you are talking about, or the size of the library. I don't use raw files, but I've got one library with almost 8000 files, and the library's total size is about 5.5 GB. I wouldn't call it "zippy" (I don't ever call anything "zippy") but it's still useable.

Lampie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.