TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Why is having 2 HDMI inputs important?

by teh_blake / July 18, 2006 12:37 PM PDT

I know that I am probably asking all of the n00b questions here, but hopefully I can get these out of the way.

So, why is it important to have 2 HDMI inputs? I can understand wanting to have one for HD Broadcasts, but isn't the best that a DVD player can put out 480p? What advantage is gained over just using the component inputs?

I could be missing something, I don't pretend to know it all, just looking for the asnwers so I can make an informed decision. Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is having 2 HDMI inputs important?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is having 2 HDMI inputs important?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ditto on that question
by djr1904 / July 18, 2006 1:26 PM PDT

I just bought a TV (which has not yet arrived) that has two HDMI inputs. What will I use these for? I've seen a DVD player or two that upconverts and has HDMI, so that could be one. But what other products connect via HDMI? Home theater? DVR?

Collapse -
The Future is HDMI
by speleofool / July 28, 2006 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Ditto on that question

HDMI is unique in combining video and multichannel audio into one cable. It appears to be gaining rapid momentum as the interconnect of choice for the future, so multiple HDMI inputs are a good thing.

Products that currently use HDMI (or DVI, which is video only, but compatible with HDMI via converter cabes) include DVD players, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players and some cable/satellite boxes. Many computers also have DVI video out for LCD monitors, but this may be compatible with TV monitors, too (check your TV manual for PC hookup resolutions and connectivity options).

In the future, I fully expect to see every digital video source push toward HDMI: camcorders, game systems, DVRs, and perhaps even some digital cameras.

Keeping video in the digital domain keeps it cleaner. I'll write more about that in another post in this thread, but it's the cleanest source of video whether you're doing HD or SD.

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
In a nutshell
by Dan Filice / July 18, 2006 1:50 PM PDT

Your cable or satellite box has, or will have, an HDMI connector for the TV. A new HD DVD player (not a standard DVD player) will also have an HDMI connector for the TV. Maybe a newer receiver will have an HDMI connector. The HDMI cleans up all of the wires as it has both video and audio in one cable, and the video signal is digital. Component isn't a digital path. I read where the new HD DVD players won't send an HD signal via component connections, but then I read elsewhere that this will be a function of individual DVDs where the studio can choosed to place a code on a DVD to only allow the HD signal to go through HDMI and not component. So, with these options, having multiple HDMI connections may be helpful.

Collapse -
Details on the "Image Constraint Token" and HD-DVD / Blu-Ray
by speleofool / July 28, 2006 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: In a nutshell

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray use an encryption scheme called AACS. In February or so of this year, the AACS standard was finalized to mandate support for the Image Constraint Token (ICT). This means that all HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players must support this token. So far, studios seem to be shying away from using the token, but they have reserved the right to do so in the fututre.

If a movie has the ICT, then analog (component, S-Video, composite) is crippled to 540 lines of resolution. HDMI should support a full 1080p, depending on the capabilities of your TV and player (and this is a big "if").

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
hdmi uses
by bevillan / July 19, 2006 5:26 AM PDT

I have one HDMI input on my tv and 2 inputs on my Onkyo receiver. I am using one for an upconverting DVD player till the HD disc war is over and I plan on exchanging my Comcast digi-cable box with/DVI for one with HDMI to use up the 2nd port. Since not many other peripherals use HDMI yet other than those 2, I don't see a better setup.

Collapse -
switchers work great
by stewart norrie / July 19, 2006 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: hdmi uses

My old Sony 65" 3 tube hi-def t.v. only had 1 d.v.i. input So I bought a Gifin d.v.i. switcher and run all my audio using optical audio cables works awsome Anyway with my new Toshiba which has 2 h.d.m.i. inputs I just changed to a d.v.i.h.d.m.i. adapter now I have the second h.d.m.i. port open for the new Sony blue ray player stewee

Collapse -
HDMI sources
by faloutboi / July 19, 2006 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: switchers work great

Just like the other posts, it's about the tech coming down the line and HDMI seems to be the next step.

I can think of 3 sources that I will purchase down the line that will need this input

1.newer DVD players can convert up to 1080i and HD-DVD or Blue ray player

2.HDcable or HD-Dish

3.next gen HD recorders

4.next gen Game consoles

Collapse -
Wrong!
by kena10 / July 19, 2006 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: switchers work great

Stewart,

Switchers don't work great all the time. Especially since you pride yourself with this "Gifin Switcher". Since you're plugging this thing into the wall to enable the switcher to work, you're introducing more noise in your signal which degrades the video signal and your chances of getting a better image get diminished.

Think of it like a hub in a computer system. The more pc's you plug into the hub, the slower your connection will be because per every computer you plug into a hub, your signal gets cut in half and so on so forth.

Although you claim that you can "fine adjust your video sources to each input, IMO, I think that as long as you properly set up one input on your tv and it goes plugged into the receiver, it simplyfies everything. Yeah, you're going to start arguing that you're going to "need more cables" as you've said in the past and the reality of it is that you already have all the cables you're going to need. So food for thought...

Jimmy

Collapse -
JIMMY NOT WRONG, RITE
by stewart norrie / July 19, 2006 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong!

switcher does not use an exterinal power source so there is no noise problem at all it draws power from the componits. The reaqson I have my system set up this way is because I saved money on my amp because i did not need h.d.m.i. switching . and by using my t.v. for vidio switching lets me fine tune all my inputs seperetly stewee

Collapse -
(NT) Some of your exaples are not correct.
by jcrobso / July 31, 2006 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong!

A HDMI switch is NOT a network hub!!! With digital signals noise is not a problem like it would be with analog. The wall example just does not fly, then maybe we should unplug all of our gear from the wall to stop of noise????
If you have one HDMI and need more,, get a switcher or a new reciver with HDMI switching. When Stew got his switcher, there weren't any HDMI switching Recivers. John

Collapse -
very important
by julian111x / July 19, 2006 4:31 PM PDT

reason you are going to need at least 2 hdmi , because u need one for your cable or satelite provider to obtain the best hd picture (1080i) , and when blue ray gets popular , or hd dvd players , you are going to need a hdmi for that as well,

Collapse -
other things re: HDMI
by Dabonka1 / July 20, 2006 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: very important

Few things currently have HDMI but keep hearing in the "near" {whatever that means} future... I've heard... Sat, Cable boxes, Blue Ray, HD DVD, PlayStation 3{BD}, other Audio equipment, PC connectivity , network connectivity...
Personally, I can foresee {only for me personally} my Comcast Cable box and {anxiously waiting} PS3...

Collapse -
Another HDMI question
by jo48 / July 26, 2006 5:53 AM PDT

The TV I am considering buying only has one HDMI input (a Vizio 37 inch HDTV). I will have an HDMI output from my upconverting DVD player and one from my cable box. I have to use the DVD player's HDMI because it won't upconvert without the HDMI cable.

Will I lose any quality if I connect the component analog HD outputs from the cable box to the component analog HD inputs on the TV set? Or should I jump through hoops to get a second HDMI (a switch or whatever...)

Thanks.

Collapse -
HDMI 1.3
by Lawrence Morrison / July 28, 2006 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Another HDMI question

Sorry to muddy the waters, but I have to...

What about HDMI 1.3? On another message board, I inquired to the group about HDMI and its advantages. I'm thinking of buying a new Onkyo receiver that has 2 HDMI inputs and one output, one reader claimed they had to tweak the color when using his HDMI inputs to make the color match his component inputs; and another reader advised HDMI 1.3 would solve that problem.

I don't want to purchase a receiver now if models coming out in the next 6+ mos. are going to have superior technology. (Granted, that's going to pretty much happen all the time anyway, right?)

T.

Collapse -
HDMI 1.3
by speleofool / July 28, 2006 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI 1.3

Here's a link that covers what's new in HDMI 1.3:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/020506hdmi/

One of the important things in there is native support for the new audio formats in HD-DVD / Blu-Ray. That would be a good reason to wait on an HDMI receiver, but not necessarily a reason to wait on an HDMI television. The reason to wait on an HDMI TV would be to make sure it supports 1080p video. This is supportable under current HDMI standars, but actual implementations vary--do your research!

There's also something about "deep color." I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the color correction you were reading about, but it might. Seems like new displays may be coming. Google "HDMI 1.3" for details.

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
Advantage of HDMI video vs. component
by speleofool / July 28, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

DVDs are digital. HDTVs are digital. Keeping the signal digital from the player to your display allows the display to scale / process the video image digitally instead of converting analog back to digital or doing analog processing.

In practical terms, the picture should look cleaner with no grain or noise (except any display artifacts from you player). I noticed a huge difference in going from a Panasonic player with 480p component to a high-end player with 480p over HDMI. Some of that is the video processing, but I also compared 480p component on the high-end player and HDMI looks cleaner and more detailed. For example, the wrinkles in the map at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring are easier to see and let you know you're looking at a leather map instead of parchment. Happy

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
SPELEO THANK YOU
by stewart norrie / August 2, 2006 7:29 AM PDT

When we talk about h.d.m.i. vs componit its like world war 111. Whwn I first set up my home theater system I had a Sony progressive scan with only componit vidio boy was the picture nasty I then tried 2 other players with the same set up even a $500 denon looked horrible I talked to so many folks including the problem on cnet and everyone told me componit should work fine bull. I finally dumped my Denon and replaced it with a 2910/955 used a d,v,i, to h.d.m.i. cable and BAM BAM 100% improvement I also had to dump my componit cables on my dish 811 system because it also looked nasty with componit vidio cables To prove my point most t.v.s on display are hooked up with componit cables once you set it up at home and use a h.d.m.i. or d.v.i. cable you will really notice a big improvement in picture quality have a nice day stewee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.