Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why IE security won't let me log on to my new internet bank?

by atikovi / March 4, 2010 8:06 AM PST

After I enter my password and hit enter I get a yellow bar near the top of the screen saying "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options..." How can I stop IE from blocking this site because clicking here for options and clicking: download file, I get a box saying: The page cannot be refreshed without resending the information. Click Retry to send the information again, or click Cancel to return to the page that you were trying view. If I click Retry I get this message from the bank: Transaction did Not Complete for the Following Reason(s):

1. A Security Error has Occurred - Online Session has Expired
Possible Reasons Include Double Clicking a Link or Pressing the Browser's Back Forward or Refresh Buttons

Return to the Login Page to Continue Session

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why IE security won't let me log on to my new internet bank?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why IE security won't let me log on to my new internet bank?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Tried Adding To "Trusted Sites" - Internet Options-Security?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 8:25 AM PST
Collapse -
by atikovi / March 4, 2010 8:44 AM PST

Yes sort of. When I try to copy and paste the entire address of the last bank webpage before the problem starts into the the Trusted Sites form, it only stores the main format, not all the characters after that which make up the specific page that causes the problem.

Collapse -
Not much to go on

Not much to go on, like what version of IE we're dealing with.

But, I'll just toss this out there. There are innumerable password stealing malware programs out there that target IE specifically. IE has a security model that resembles swiss cheese than an iron fortress. Do you REALLY want to take the chance that your system will become infested with malware that will let some ne'er do well have access to your bank account? Even if the risk is small, it's still significantly higher with IE compared to any other browser, and all it takes is a single mishap to have your financial situation become rather dire. This might well be a blessing in disguise.

Collapse -
IE6 and IE8
by atikovi / March 4, 2010 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Not much to go on

I'm using IE6 on my desktop and IE8 on my laptop and get the same results with both. Don't much worry about malware, thats why I have security software installed. This doesn't happen on the six other bank websites I use.

Collapse -
It's your info
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: IE6 and IE8

It's your info you're risking, so you can do what you want. Given that all security software is reactionary, meaning there's always a gap between the time some malware is released and security vendors have had time to collect a sample, analyze it, create an updated definitions file, and push it out. And Microsoft regularly sits on known security holes. Back when a new major exploit was being found for IE6 about every week, sometimes Microsoft would sit on known exploits for 6 months or more. There are probably some that have never been fixed.

Just don't expect a lot of sympathy if one day you find your identity has been stolen, and you're now on the hook for massive amounts of debt along with a destroyed credit rating, or your bank account has been cleaned out.

But if you have the same issue on two different versions of the browser on two different systems, then the issue is either with the site itself or your much vaunted and trusted (even if misplaced) security software.

Collapse -
No problem at the library
by atikovi / March 5, 2010 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: It's your info

I went to the library to log on and got in no problem. I have Mcafee at home and turned it off before trying to get it. There must be some disable in Explorer to allow a site to download automatically.

Collapse -
Got in at home
by atikovi / March 5, 2010 1:16 AM PST

I was just able to get in by checking the box that says you are at a public computer. I'll try doing it again this weekend checking the box as from my home computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.