Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Why I'm receiving so many junk and scams emails !?

by Marah429 / January 26, 2012 11:45 PM PST

Hello everyone!
I have an email on Hotmail and I use it since years ago. but in the past 2 months or more I started to recieve scam and threat emails around 5 emails or more in one day from unkown and different senders.
and I tried so many security tips on hotmail but nothing works.
the good thing that my hotmail put these emails with the junk emails.
what should I do so my email stop recieving these scam emails !?
Thanks in Advanced Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why I'm receiving so many junk and scams emails !?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why I'm receiving so many junk and scams emails !?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: scam and threat emails
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 11:22 PM PST

It seems they found you. Nothing you can do about it except moving. Make another email address, start using that and hope it takes some time till they find you again.

Collapse -
Scam and threat emails
by Boothbay / February 25, 2012 3:05 AM PST

Since the law has prohibited telemarketers to use the phone, they have discovered the internet...spend more time on deleting, them from all of my emails not matter which one u use.

Collapse -
Best way
by Carseela / February 23, 2012 2:30 PM PST

The best way you have to do is to protect your account with a strong password , it should be in the way that others cant grab it.But for your present account you cant do it because they have known already about it. so better try to delete the account and create a new one and be safe from these. Most anti-virus software is good at detecting viral threats that proliferate email spam such as mass mailing worms, trojans, and directory harvesters.So you can try downloading these antivirus too.

Collapse -
I have a theory
by SteveRMann / February 24, 2012 10:11 AM PST

Do you delete coookies?

Collapse -
Scam growing on Hotmail accounts
by jfordorl / February 24, 2012 12:17 PM PST

By far the most scam and solicitation e-mails I recieve is seemingly from my friends who have Hotmail accounts. I have to 'assume' that Hotmail is the easiest to hack, or spoof, or otherwise make these scam e-mails seem to be comming to me from a friend. I have very rarely recieved any from friends with any other e-mail accounts. Therefore, I suggest you delete your Hotmail e-mail account and choose another provider, even knowing how emotionally difficult it is to give up an e-mail account that you have been known by for years!

Collapse -
Not much you can do
by Zouch / February 24, 2012 9:49 PM PST

once the spammers have your email address, the spam will keep coming, One temporary solution, as has already been suggested, is to create a new email account and abandon the old spam infested one. You might want to go for a Gmail account and specify that all outbound traffic is to be encrypted - that will at least increase the privacy of your own messages.

As far as the inbound messages are concerned, it really comes down to the effectiveness of your mail provider's spam filters. You say Hotmail is putting your spam into the Junk folder. Check to see how many false positives there are and if it's an acceptable level, just delete all the messages in the Junk folder. Maybe Hotmail has the option to do this automatically (I don't know, I don't use it). Beyond that, you are pretty much stuck with them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.