Video Games & Consoles forum

Resolved Question

Why haven't wristwatches added this feature?

by powderpuff2364 / September 6, 2011 12:37 AM PDT

Since watches no-longer just SHOW time, on their face, with many having stop-watches, medicine alarms, and a host of other features, I am wondering if anyone has thought of adding caller I.D., with name, to the watch.

My thought is that, like pre-paid phone service, a customer should be able to enter name, address, and so on, on a web-site, which would, then send a code, to the watch, (sent the same way as Atomic clocks self-set).

The watch would, then be "connected", via wireless connection, such as 900 MegaHertz, to the persons own home phone.

As a ressult, when a person is AT home, they wont have to run to the caller I.D., to see who is calling. Their watch would, automatically, switch from time-showing, to show who is calling. When their phone stops ringing, the wrist-watch would revert back to time keeping mode.

I am sure that such an addition would be possible. If watches can be made to TALK to the blind, then, surely, they can be programmed, for caller I.D.

Has anyone done this, yet? If so, please submit web-address, and model number.

powderpuff2364 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why haven't wristwatches added this feature?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why haven't wristwatches added this feature?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by powderpuff2364

Collapse -
Those did show up years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 1:03 AM PDT

Was it the Microsoft Spot? and other wristwatches tried it years ago. The problem is that the engineering cost has to be amortized over the unit sales. Folk also didn't like charging their watches every day or week.

So nothing stopped such from being possible but it was not what enough folk wanted.

Collapse -
LG had something
by Jimmy Greystone / September 6, 2011 11:32 AM PDT

LG had something like this too a year or two ago. It was basically a smartphone that was about the size of a calculator watch. I highly doubt it functioned all that effectively, and was quickly buried. Assuming it ever even made it to market. While it might be kind of cool from a purely "Hey, lookit at way we did!" viewpoint, practically there would be so many engineering tradeoffs that would have to be made to get the cost down to anything even remotely close to what people would be willing to pay... Then the idea of having to hold your wrist up to your mouth like you're some kind of secret service agent or something would likely get old real fast.

Collapse -
Sorry to tell you this.
by powderpuff2364 / September 7, 2011 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: LG had something

Jimmy, I am sorry to have to tell you this, but, telephones, on wristwatches ARE available, TODAY. They are just not priced for the average purchaser. I saw them, in use, on one of those primetime news shows.

As for your reply, I believe that you MIS-understood the question.

I was NOT asking if telephones could be placed into watches, I was asking about caller I.D., alone.

My entry was asking if any company might sell a wristwatch, which had caller I.D. built in.

Reason: I thought it would be easier to be ableto look at ones wrist, to find out who is calling. My entry said nothing about answering the phone. It was about having caller I.D. at ones finger-tips.

I apologize for my entry not being clear enough for your to understand it, easily.

Collapse -
No, I got that
by Jimmy Greystone / September 7, 2011 11:08 AM PDT

No, I got that, but what you didn't quite seem to get is that why stop at just caller ID? Besides the fact that you'd need some kind of hard link to the phone line in the residence or a separate transmitter. The former would kind of defeat the purpose I would think, and the latter is just one more reason why it wouldn't work. We won't get into the physics of antennas.

Anyway, why would companies stop at just caller ID? Why not just go and make it a full fledged cordless phone? And then why not just make it a full fledged cellular phone if you're going to do that much? The amount of difficulty between those is pretty negligible really. It might even be easier to make a cell phone in watch form than any kind of cordless phone.

All of this also completely ignores the fact that people are abandoning landlines in ever greater numbers, so the growth market for any product like this would be to have a cell phone in wristwatch form factor. Who wants to spend millions of dollars developing something that has a shrinking userbase?

My apologies if I incorrectly assumed that you were doing the same basic analysis in your head. I sometimes forget that things that are almost second nature to me, do not necessarily come easy to others.

Collapse -
How many homephones do you know ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 1:06 AM PDT

that wirelessly connect to a predefined external device (such as a watch) to show the caller-ID if somebody calls in. Without such a phone, it wouldn't work.

Now imagine you have such a watch and your partner has such a watch also. Then the homephone would either have to use some broadcast protocol or be able to connect to 2 different watches at the same time.

With many different home phone makers and even more watchmakers, this seems to call for some IEEE standard before anyone would even consider making either a watch or a phone that does it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.