Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Why has my Outlook Express gone Retro?

by Jansetau / July 18, 2009 4:40 PM PDT

Hi all.

My Pen4 1800Mhz computer has a cassette style of setup that allows me to interchange my XP and 2K hard drives as and when I need them. This can only be done while the PC is turned off.

In Outlook Express (both my XP and 2K hard drives) my folders are pathed to my Slave drive. This is achieved from within Outlook Express via the Options>Maintenance panels. From there I think it is the "store' button, or something like that which opens and allows my to make the changes for the pathing.

This system works fine, except for one HUGE problem.

All my folders are accessible from both HD's, which ever is inserted. All mail and folders are also accessible.

BUT, (and there is always a but) when I access the address book (remember that this is now located on the slave drive also) the XP address book is 'up to date' but the 2K address book, pathed to the same folder, shows up as an OLD and dated address book.

I am at a loss as to why this should occur. Any and all suggestion s welcome.

Regards

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why has my Outlook Express gone Retro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why has my Outlook Express gone Retro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For your research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2009 8:40 PM PDT

If you say the settings are proper I'll have to take your word for that but if I was on the machine I'd use these links for reference to sniff it out.

-> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Notice that step 2? Addresses are not where the store folder is?

Here's the passage you need "Microsoft Outlook Express 5.x and Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 use a Windows Address Book (.wab) file to store Address Book data. The individual data for each identity is stored in a folder by user name within the .wab file that is used."
Bob

Collapse -
Why is my Outlook Express going Retro
by Jansetau / July 19, 2009 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: For your research.

Hi there.

You just about hit the nail on the head if I read you reply correctly.

After a bit of ferreting around in the computer I found my mistake. It would appear that "all folders except the address book" can be re-pathed to a place of my own choosing.

The address book is a separate entity not connected to the "folders" in question.

So what actually happened when I inserted my 2K HD, all the folders in Outlook Express were in-fact pathed as required EXCEPT the address book. 2K automatically displayed the 'old' address book that was actually stored on the 2K HD.

All that I had to, and will have to do in the future is to export the address book (comma separated values) from XP onto the slave and then import from the slave to the 2K drive and bingo, all will be cosha again. Happy

I guess I will have to do this every couple of months or so to keep the address book reasonably up to date.

Regards

Collapse -
Or you could do further research. Example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2009 1:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the Info
by Jansetau / July 19, 2009 3:06 PM PDT

Hi there.

Thanks for the info. I will have a good read and then decide which way to go, to modify or just update regularly. Registry edits are not one of my forte's.

Regards

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2009 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the Info

Sorry for the fast replies.
Bob

Collapse -
The way I like it.
by Jansetau / July 20, 2009 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome.

Hi there Proffit.

Fast replies, the only way to go. Thanks Happy

Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.