Android forum

Why has allshare been replace by samsung link?

by thedeftones / October 22, 2013 9:00 AM PDT

I use allshare all the time for my daughter to watch shows from our laptop that shes not allowed to touch but now the app disappeared and i have to use samsung link instead. The problem is, i have to install samsung software on my pc and i dont want to. It always worked before, but it seems as if samsung are insisting on the software being installed for sharing to work.
Is there an android equivalent app that im not aware of? I really dont want to install software on my pc when its dlna ready and should just work. I have used vlc in the past but same deal. Thats why allshare was so useful as it worked with windows easily.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why has allshare been replace by samsung link?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why has allshare been replace by samsung link?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2013 8:15 AM PDT

As I have not read a good answer from Samsung I'm going to speculate a change in management with the usual change to something new that may be easier to market or a key programmer left the company and they can't find the team motivated enough to fix what was wrong or add what the (new?) management wanted.

This story has repeated many times in many companies so if I were to bet, that's my bet.

Collapse -
You should contact Samsung.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 26, 2013 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

....for more details as to why it was replaced/changed. We can only speculate on this forum.

Collapse -
My contacts
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2013 3:35 AM PST

Are pretty much from when I go to the developer seminars. It's pretty easy to see a tension between engineers that want to develop great apps and "stuff" and the company marketing weasels (cue Dilbert character) that dream up ideas such as Samsung PIA and "featured applications" that you can't disable. And now you are seeing companies are resorting to doing the same bad things we caught them doing on PCs. AKA spyware, LG is the latest in the news on that. LG's fix is debatable if that was indeed a fix as they, well write it's to improve the user experience.

Collapse -
Could i propose an alternative solution?
by jstanmore99 / November 25, 2013 8:42 PM PST

I'm just setting up a Samsung smart tv and whilst had Samsung Remote on my old android phone, come to install it on my Nexus 5 (KitKat) only to find they've pulled it and there are now no official Samsung Adnroid apps available to me right now. Samsung Link is not KitKat compatible.
Furthermore, I can't stream mp4/mp3 from a NAS on the internal LAN to the tv **UNLESS** I sign in on the tele with a Samsung registered email address. So, in other words, to use the facilities on the TV, facilities which were a key selling feature, I am utterly obliged to accept their Samsung Link T&Cs and approve their tracking of my watching data.
And to stream from the laptop, as you have found out, you are absolutely required to install their software.

It's all about tracking your watching habits and tying you in to their ecosystem, whichever platform you are using and however you are trying to use your own internal infrastructure. The recent LG revelations and the fact Samsung have not yet offered a statement on the issue highlight this. And if you doubt this, read the T&Cs Samsung declare.....I paraphrase but there is one section which states "we will track and record your viewing habits (presumably through mp3/4 metadata) and use it how we want". Seriously, go and read them.

So I'm not overly happy that a key advertised and selling feature is disabled unless I am forced to accept Samsung T&Cs, sign in, grant them access to my data. Nowhere in the advertising or blurb do Samsung state that they disable key features unless you sign in. Not acceptable.

So that's what I think the answer to your question is. You are a data source to them to be monetized. End of.

Collapse -
Did you catch the LG Story about this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2013 12:02 AM PST
Collapse -
They are arrogant people, but ...
by mau_gram / June 11, 2014 1:06 AM PDT

the solution is very simple DO NOT BUY ANYMORE SAMSUNG ITEMS !!!!!!!

Mario G.

Collapse -
Why replace Allshare with Samsung Link ?
by mau_gram / June 11, 2014 1:01 AM PDT

Because at Samsung there are STUPID people without a brain.
Simple like this !

Mario G.

Collapse -
Time to shut down....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 1:23 AM PDT

....let's grow up and stop trying to play the blame game. There is no point trying to determine who or why at this point. This thread is done. If someone has some relevant new information, please start a new thread instead of piling on to a 223 day old thread.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.