Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Why doesn't Desktop Save and Restore want to install?

by Sorenson01 / January 2, 2012 3:15 AM PST

Hi!

This is my first post.

I have an old computer (my original Win 98 computer) which I have tried to upgrade (now using Win 98SE).

I had Desktop Save and Restore by Jamie O'Connell on it and it worked for a little while, then quit working and wouldn't reinstall.

Now, I've deleted it, downloaded it again and tried a fresh Install.

My download source this time was http://www.pcworld.com/article/154351/how_do_i_keep_my_desktop_icons_in_place.html

I hit the Desktop Restore link and it took me to a DeskInst.msi file ver. 1.5.6 (for Win 98 ME). I downloaded it and tried to Install it.

I renamed it from DeskInst.msi to DesktopSaveandRestore.msi and stored it in Program Files.

The install will not finish. I get the message:

A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Program Files\DesktopSaveandRestore.msi.

I hit OK. The message displays a second time. I hit OK. Then the message changes to:

The installer was interrupted before Desktop Restore could be installed. You need to restart the installer and try again.
Click "Close" to exit.

I presume that by 'restart the installer' they mean try to install again. I did try again several times. And I just go around and around and around.

Do they mean something else by 'restart the installer'? If so, what?

What can I do to get this program to install? What could be wrong with my System?

Thanks in advance and I await any replies.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why doesn't Desktop Save and Restore want to install?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why doesn't Desktop Save and Restore want to install?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 3:39 AM PST

It shouldn't be the cause, but my guess: issues with long folder and filenames.

Make a c:\temp folder, copy this file into it and rename it as deskinst.msi again. Then the full 8.3 filename is c:\temp\deskinst.msi. Run that.

Kees

Collapse -
I tried your idea.....
by Sorenson01 / January 3, 2012 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: install

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I tried your idea. I named the temp folder temp restore and moved it into C and then moved the file Deskinst.msi into it and tried to Install.

I got the exactly same messages as before. Should I have deleted all traces of my first attempt (with the long file name) before trying your idea? Or would that have mattered?

I am still not understanding the cause of this problem.

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly, too easy to replicate
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 12:38 AM PST

"Windows Installer Error 1316
A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file:

This has been reported to occur if you rename the installation MSI file after installation, and then attempt to execute it a second time."

By renaming the file you created an install problem. Renaming it back might work but if you get the name wrong or even the upper lower case wrong, it continues to fail.
Bob

Collapse -
this time it says it installed
by Sorenson01 / January 3, 2012 9:21 AM PST

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. First I deleted all previous attempts then I tried what you said and downloaded version 1.5.6 and simply hit the Installation process.

One thing I saw on a previous version 1.3.7 said to hit the Remove (vs Repair) button if prompted by messages about cannot install. Voila! That's what I have been faced with, I thought.

So I went through the Remove function first. (I had not downloaded it before. Why should I remove it first? I never thought to go this route first.) But I did this time.

This allowed me to finish the Installation. I got one delay, however. It was:

Module C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ShellExt\dkticnsr.dll failed to register. HRESULT-2147024865. Contact your support personnel.

Exit Try Again Continue

I hit Try again. Same message. I hit Continue. Installation successful.

But there is still a problem.

When I right click on an open area of the desktop, I expected to see Save desktop layout. I see nothing.
Did it install and is it working or not?

I am still at a loss......

Collapse -
Since Explorer may need to restart for right click item
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 9:25 AM PST

We are discussing a very old OS. There are too many things back then that did not work or required a reboot to show up.

Since I know how to create that error message, I thought I'd add that detail.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.