Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why does this keep popping up?

by pooljunkie73 / February 26, 2004 7:15 AM PST

I am a computer newbie so please simplify the answers if possible.

Everytime i start up the computer i get this popping up on my screen...

windows cannot find:" c:\windows\system32\cpusave32.exe "

Does anyone know why this keeps coming up? If so, how do i get rid of it? Thank you for any help you could provide.

Kent Mc.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does this keep popping up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does this keep popping up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Why does this keep popping up? cpusave32 seems to be part of CNBABE. A parasite.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2004 7:23 AM PST finds discussions.

Parasite removal programs. notes the five scanning tools and removal tools that are fairly safe. If one does encounter an issue, its always been damage done by the MALWARE. The most common issue being Layered Service Provider replacement which you can use LSPFIX (Hint: use to find).

The thread has follow on discussions about new links if you don't want to use Google to find an item.

PS. All the tools are free.
Collapse -
Re:Re:Why does this keep popping up? cpusave32 seems to be part of CNBABE. A parasite.

Sorry it has taken me so long to resond. It was caused by trojan.gema. That has since been taken care of with a trojan killer. The only message that comes up now remve refernce to this file in the registry c:\windows\system32\cpusave32.exe. How would i go about going this in a step-by-step manner. I am just starting to get involved in this, so i need a simplified manner.I have registry cleaner if that is any help.

Thank alot,

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Why does this keep popping up? cpusave32 seems to be part of CNBABE. A parasite.

When i ran the LSPFIX the only things that come up were under the keep side they were:

mswsock.dll .......description..T cpip
winrnr.dll ........ """"""""""..NTDS
rsvpsp.dll ........ """"""""""..(Protocol handler)

Should i move any of these to the remove side?

Thanks again,

Collapse -
The tools.

The usual are Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall. These will take out the common bugs. If the internet connection is lost, then LSPFIX is used. It's my policy to not duplicate web content in my posts since one wrong word or passage of time will cause it to became false. Read the LSPFIX links you find with

Proceed to the Security Forum for help with Virus/Trojan/Hijackking issues.

Collapse -
Re:The tools.
by pooljunkie73 / May 20, 2004 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: The tools.

Sorry if it was not mentioned but, the trojan was already taken care of. I just want to get rid of the error message that comes up when i log on.

" Windows cannot find: c:\windows\system32\cpusave.exe Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

After I click "ok" on that another one comes up saying to make sure file exists or remove refernce to it in the registry. I don't have a clue what part of the registry to look in or what to do when i find it.

Collapse -
The fine tools STARTER and HIJACKTHIS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2004 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:The tools.
Collapse -
by Merl Priester / May 20, 2004 2:13 AM PDT

type in msconfig

press ENTER

look for that line of text in the startup menu
uncheck the box.

Collapse -
by pooljunkie73 / May 20, 2004 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: MSCONFIG

Did that already, no mention of it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.