Speakeasy forum

Why does this Admin

by TONI H / February 5, 2013 9:40 PM PST

hate small business as much as it does? Putting more of them out of business through regulations has become the new normal.......one small fishery business in NE has stated that with these new regulations for 'catch-share', he would be limited to fishing and getting his 'quota' within three days for an entire year.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does this Admin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does this Admin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: In the first year of the catch-share policy,
by JP Bill / February 6, 2013 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Why does this Admin
In the first year of the catch-share policy, he caught 11,000 pounds, of which he was only allowed to sell 9,000 pounds. What he had to do with the ton of fish he wasn't allowed to sell we don't know.

He should have been charged for overfishing...Taking more than his quota.

NOAA Fisheries
Office of Sustainable Fisheries

"Catch share" is a general term for several fishery management strategies that allocate a specific portion of the total allowable fishery catch to individuals, cooperatives, communities, or other entities. Each recipient of a catch share is directly accountable to stop fishing when its exclusive allocation is reached.

Why does this Admin

"Catch shares" is a general term used in several fisheries management strategies, which include Limited Access Privilege Programs (LAPP) and individual fishing quotas, that dedicate a secure share of fish to individual fishermen, cooperatives or fishing communities for their exclusive use. The first Catch Share Program in the U.S. was implemented in 1990 in the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery. Catch share programs are currently used in 15 fisheries managed by six regional fishery management councils, with additional programs in development.

THIS Admin?...NO!!!..Since 1990
Collapse -
I'd have split the profit
by James Denison / February 6, 2013 3:30 AM PST

by "sharing" that part of the catch to someone else and their quota. In agriculture there are certain crops that can't exceed a quota, such as tobacco. Instead those who want to grow tobacco exclusively pay those who wish to lease their quota right each year. Maybe a setup like that would work best in the fisheries?

Collapse -
It all depends
by Willy / February 6, 2013 12:27 AM PST

These aren't the good ole days when you went out and got everything and then peddled it. Overall, fishery business had too many and then even they were very efficient and could easily do what took weeks or days before. Let's not exclude that there are fleets out there that can reap and over fish an area. It has been shown that pickings are getting lower and by survival of the fitness many leave the business or curtail fishing until optimum times. What are you going to complain about if there are no fish to be gotten or so reduced that at least some fish are provided. Look at the lobster fisheries how they're able to maintain a decent likelihoods and continue what are many family business. It wouldn't be that way, they continued what they did up to the '70s when they saw things getting real bad. Also, you could blame foreign fishing fleets as well, wish seem to not care or have higher levels to fish. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
IF they can catch their quota in 3 days
by JP Bill / February 6, 2013 3:10 AM PST

Are they as "small" as a guy that has to fish for 6 months to get his quota?

Collapse -
Fishermen learn
by TONI H / February 6, 2013 7:12 AM PST

by long-time experience the best areas to fish for what they normally sell quickly......you can't blame this guy for knowing more than the guy that has to fish for six months in order to fill his own quota, can you?

From what I have read about your links regarding 'catch-share' from the 1990's, it was more evenly distributed between the fishing fleets/boats.......now they are more geared to the 'big business' fleets and shoving the little guy out. What happened to this Admin's policy of 'fair share'?

Collapse -
So large businesses should be curtailed to provide
by Roger NC / February 6, 2013 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Fishermen learn

more room in supply and market to the smaller guy?

Other choice is to have no limits and let the supply be depleted until the small business can't survive.

Collapse -
Isn't this the pres who is "FOR" the little guy
by TONI H / February 6, 2013 9:40 PM PST

and looking out for him? Instead, this new regulation curtails the 'catch-share' policy from years ago so badly that more and more of the 'little guys' are going out of business and retiring or collecting unemployment (IF they even can since most are self employed).

I actually see another choice......ratchet down the quota on the larger shipping fleets and 'share the wealth' by increasing the quotas for the little guy so he can make a living again. Same number of fish caught......

Collapse -
RE: increasing the quotas for the little guy
by JP Bill / February 6, 2013 10:35 PM PST

Who would you consider a little guy in the fishing industry?

IF I can get my quota in 3 days his quota allocation for this year under catch shares was only 16.8 tonnes. @$1/lb works out to $33,600 for 3 days work....get a couple other jobs for the rest of the year....Sounds like it could be a pretty good life.

IF he was a "little guy with a dory"...It might take him a bit longer....even if it took 3 months....$33,600 ain't too bad for 3 months work.

Collapse -
You're an idiot
by TONI H / February 6, 2013 11:12 PM PST

You think he fishes alone and without a crew and no fuel in the tank and maintenance on nets, gear, etc., with a family to support and need to go hundreds of miles out to sea to catch the type he's looking for? Just because you personally have/had been happy to work only six months out of a year and sit on your a## the rest of time doesn't mean people who actually ENJOY working for a living and has pride in himself wouldn't be insulted by your comments.

Collapse -
So the answer to
by JP Bill / February 7, 2013 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: You're an idiot

Who would you consider a little guy in the fishing industry?

Collapse -
I'll tell you who the little guy is
by James Denison / February 7, 2013 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: So the answer to

He's the guy who doesn't have a regular "salt water fishing license", something I never heard of till I came back from overseas, and he pays for a day on a party fishing boat. You don't get much more "little guy" than that when it comes to fishing.

Collapse -
(NT) And he's affected by a quota and catch-sharing?
by JP Bill / February 7, 2013 12:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Check Florida laws
by James Denison / February 7, 2013 1:21 AM PST

He may be. I know they kept a record of the complete catch by customers that day. Also were checking sizes of catch to make sure it conformed to law.

Collapse -
salt water fishing licenses started in NC
by Roger NC / February 7, 2013 7:02 AM PST

about 10 years ago I think without looking it up.

My main problem is that it is a separate license than fresh water fishing, required since before I was old enough to remember.

It's just a fee to gather, another way to tax you of course.

My real beef with it is requiring two difference license or a higher price overall license. When they decided to have a salt water fishing license requirement, they should just have extended the existing license requirment to fresh and salt.

Collapse -
RE:sit on your a## the rest of time
by JP Bill / February 7, 2013 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: You're an idiot

Toni, Toni, Toni...What am I gonna' do with ya'?

I can't do what I'd like to do with ya'...I'll have to some other way for you to improve your reading skills. I know you're wearing blinders so you only see certain things...Is it possible you are also wearing a blindfold and can't see anything?

get a couple other jobs for the rest of the year....Sounds like it could be a pretty good life.

Collapse -
Maybe it's a Magician's blindfold?
by James Denison / February 7, 2013 1:22 AM PST

You see the blindfold, but she sees perfectly through the thin material. You do know WHY all those blindfolds are black don't you?

Collapse -
And you SUSPECT she's a
by JP Bill / February 7, 2013 2:22 AM PST
"Magician's Assistant"?

You do know WHY all those blindfolds are black don't you?

Because you wouldn't be caught dead wearing one?
Collapse -
"What am I gonna' do with ya'?"
by James Denison / February 7, 2013 1:38 AM PST
Constance abducted her grandson and raised him in secrecy. Three years later, Constance claimed to her hairdresser that, with all the tragedy she's been through, that with the baby she has been given a chance to be the mother of someone destined for "greatness." The last moments show that her now three-year-old grandson, Michael, has inherited his father Tate's murderous tendencies and lack of remorse; he has brutally murdered his nanny, and is gleefully sitting next to her corpse. Constance does not react in fear or disgust, but says in the final seconds with some pride, "What am I going to do with you?"[6] For her performance, Ms. Lange won both the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie and the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress - Series, Miniseries or Television Film. "

Example, Films, Live Action
In the 2000 movie Gladiator,
Emperor Commodus says a variant of this to Maximus, after the latter
has just won a match that was blatantly rigged against him.
Commodus: What am I going to do with you? You simply won't... die.

Six Useless Phrases.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.