Windows 7 forum

Question

Why does my PC not recognize the new RAM I installed?

by kjguillaume / January 20, 2013 2:18 AM PST

I have a pretty old Compaq Pressario that was running 2 512 MB sticks so I added 2 1 GB sticks today but it still shows it only utilizing 1 MB. I put the new sticks in the original slots and moved the old ones over so it is not an issue of installation. I ran CPU-Z and all four sticks show up in the SPD tab but the 2 new ones only have values in the timings table under JEDEC #1, the 2 old ones have JEDEC #1, 2, and 3. I have no idea what this means by the way. Please help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my PC not recognize the new RAM I installed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my PC not recognize the new RAM I installed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
memory usage
by AngryRaisin / January 22, 2013 3:14 AM PST

what shows that the computer is only using 1 MB (task manager, system properties, certain program)? If CPUz shows the sticks that is usually a good sign that computer at least recognizes the new memory. JEDEC speeds are different speeds that the memory can use/be set at to be more compatible with more machice... If there is only one that just means that the memory is set to be used in one configuration only.

Collapse -
memory usage
by kjguillaume / January 23, 2013 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: memory usage
what shows that the computer is only using 1 MB (task manager, system properties, certain program)?

When I go to control panel, system and security, view amount of RAM and processor speed, it shows 1 GB.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 2:22 AM PST

This doesn't seem to be a Windows 7 question. More a hardware question.

Are sure this old Presario supports more than 1 GB of RAM and that it's the right kind? Did you check the memory selector at crucial.com?

Kees

Collapse -
I'll go with Kees_B on that.
by DChrisL / January 23, 2013 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: Re: RAM

I had run a scan of my computer and the maximum that is allowed on a Compaq Presario, Model #: CQ5826 is 8 GB of RAM. Darrell

Collapse -
Ram OS etc.
by pgc3 / January 23, 2013 10:09 PM PST

Yes, IF you are running a 64 bit OS...and only if...

Collapse -
Re: RAM
by kjguillaume / January 23, 2013 11:26 PM PST

I did check and it can take 4 GB. I used the crucial selector to find the RAM but I bought it on Amazon. Weird thing is that although CPUz detects it, when I used the crucial selector after I put it in, it did not recognize it.

Collapse -
I bought mine from crucial.
by DChrisL / January 24, 2013 10:00 PM PST

I had 4 GB installed and I bought 4 GB in the next slot. if you are not seeing that, even on CCleaner shows how much RAM you have. I would remove the old sticks and replace them with (2) 2 GB RAM. The other sticks may not be compatable and and will go only as fast as your lowest stick. That is mentioned on crucial.com. Scroll down that page and you will see different speeds of each RAM you install. Those older 512 MB may be slowing your speeds. Darrell PS- I have 2 one GB stcks as an extra so if the one 2 GB dies, I will have 3 GB ram.

Collapse -
Answer
Max mem size in slot
by lucky76 / January 26, 2013 4:23 AM PST

Some older computers can only have memory cards with say 512k in a slot and if you're installing 1gb (1024k) in a slot it won't recongize it. Check your manual.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.