Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Why does my IP address change

by jmatzick / November 17, 2003 3:28 AM PST

Hi, I amd using cable, 384kbs, and I would like to know why does my IP address constantly change? Thanks, John Win98se

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my IP address change
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my IP address change
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Why does my IP address change
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2003 5:09 AM PST

Your internet provider only has so many addresses. So when others are offline, they re-use them. Or "LEASE" then for a time period.

You can pay more for a fixed address.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Why does my IP address change
by Berfert / November 17, 2003 5:21 AM PST

if you review your TCP/IP properties you should determine that they are set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" or some such wording. This is normal for some setups. Like Bob said I'm sure you can pay extra for a permanent address if you need it.

Collapse -
John, Personally, I Like The IP Address to Change Occasionally
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2003 7:18 AM PST

Dial-up connections receive a new IP address each time a new connection is made. This isn't true for "always on" internet such as your's. A new IP address helps to stop outsiders (hackers, etc.) from being able to lock on the same one forever.

On the other hand, it can make things a little difficult if you're trying to access your own machine from a remote computer.

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
How often does my IP address change?

How often does my ip change i am using 256mb ADSL. i

Collapse -
You'll have to watch for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2008 10:54 AM PDT

No two ISPs seem to be the same.

Collapse -
And Easy To Check
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 15, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

Simply access your router/modem settings using a browser and check the ip issued.

As stated above, it depends on your ISP.. On my home DSL, it changes rarely, usually only when I turn OFF the modem and it reinitializes..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Which I.P. are you talking about Internal or External?
by GreatYarmouth / February 2, 2011 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: And Easy To Check
Collapse -
ip adress changing
by Arcteryx1 / December 4, 2010 11:19 PM PST

So if I get this right its normal for my ip address to change since I close my router at night ?

Collapse -
Close router
by PKsteven / December 5, 2010 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: ip adress changing

By this you mean shut it off? If you are behind a router, your address is likely 192.168.1.XXX and is put out by your router but your ISP address is not. As with my router, which I leave on 24\7, we all have the same "Router" IP addresses constantly. If I reset the router or shut it off, whichever device connects first, gets the 192.168.1.100 as opposed to the .102 address, at least on my last two Linksys routers it worked this way.

I feel there is more information needed here. How many computers\devices access your router? What brand\model router?

Collapse -
IP's
by Arcteryx1 / August 3, 2011 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Close router

Hey Steven sorry for the late reply but now I know (with your answer) why I get a new IP address as you said its because I shut off my router.

The reason behind this is that 1) why leave it on when its not in use and 2) Nobody can access my PC while its off call me parano

Collapse -
No One Can Access Your PC....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 3, 2011 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: IP's

...if you simply turn off the PC as well. (As long as the "wake on LAN" settings are correctly set.) For those that have multiple users for the router, including wireless, etc., turning off the router isn't an option.. Turning OFF the PC is..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Static or dynamic
by amy_1 / December 7, 2010 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: ip adress changing

You also need to ask your ISP (Internet Service Provider) whether the IP assigned to you is a Dynamic IP or a Static IP. Difference:

- Dynamic IP is where it changes after each time one shuts down the internet (router).
- Static IP is where the IP remains the same 30 days from now.

In most cases you have to pay a little more to get a Static IP, it is because you then have a dedicated line and mostly professionals need that. For normal day to day work I find Dynamic IP to work just fine. In fact, in some cases of downloading, a Dynamic IP can help you as you can pass the waiting period between downloads by simply getting yourself a new IP assigned.

Hope I helped Happy

Collapse -
like my ISP
by LakesReg / December 13, 2010 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Static or dynamic

is AT&T and in a large US metro area. If I shut my computer off for even as little as 10 minutes, when I turn back on (I have DSL so it automatically connects to the internet when I turn it back on)I will have a new IP address from my ISP

Collapse -
sometimes
by LakesReg / December 13, 2010 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: like my ISP

though rare, it might even change while still connected to the internet. I'll see where it looks like th IPaddress I had will disappear and then a new one will be assigned

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.