Networking & Wireless

Question

Why does my internet keep dropping out?

by bradjoe96 / December 26, 2012 1:13 PM PST

I'm at home and everything in my house will occasionally drop connection, as in I'm playing a game on the computer, it looks like all of the players have stopped moving, then they end up in a completely different spot (when the connection comes back). If I'm on Skype while this happens, the voices of the people I'm talking to will stop, and they won't be able to hear me until my internet decides to come back again, which usually takes about 5 seconds. This problem has been going on for about a year, happens on all devices in the house (even wired) and has not changed through all the routers we've been through. So no, it's not a router issue. Modem? Maybe. I never have to reset the modem and router because of it.

Also, since I know a lot of you are going to say change the wireless channel, let me repeat myself: THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS ON BOTH WIRED AND WIRELESS DEVICES!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my internet keep dropping out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my internet keep dropping out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can't guess this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 1:16 PM PST

I read it twice and let's say it's not the router. So what has been done about the internet source?

Collapse -
Hmm...
by bradjoe96 / December 26, 2012 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: Can't guess this one.

As in the modem? Nothing. Should I ask for a new modem? What if I just hooked my computer directly into the modem, and used that as a test as to see whether or not I'd still have the same problem? What does that mean if it still happens? Time for a new modem? What about if it doesn't happen? Connection issue between the router and modem?

Collapse -
I didn't write that it was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm...

I read it twice and given only what you are willing to provide it seems to point to other than the router. If it's that bad a test is to run it without the router.

You asked a lot of questions without supplying details so I can't answer much.
Bob

Collapse -
What details?
by bradjoe96 / December 26, 2012 1:23 PM PST

I'm not refusing to give you more details. I just don't know what else I can give you. What would you like to know?

Collapse -
But also...
by bradjoe96 / December 26, 2012 1:36 PM PST

But also, as you can see... I just basically described the process you're referring to and I was asking if that was a good way to do it. Are we having trouble understanding each other?

Collapse -
I hope not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: But also...

I let members supply the needed details. This is not tech support but a discussion forum and with each post you make, the forum asks you for details needed for the discussion. I try to be gentle in asking for details and will work with what folk are willing to provide.

If it's that bad you can test with just the ISP's supplied gear. If that drops, then you take it up with them. You have enough PCs to know if it's one PC but the story sounds like an ISP issue. Sometimes folk supply all the details and I can do a little research with google to see if a westell 6100 with version 1.2 is/was creating issues. But I can't do that.
Bob

Collapse -
OK...
by bradjoe96 / December 26, 2012 6:09 PM PST
In reply to: I hope not.

OK... so I tried running the game with a direct modem hook up and didn't have these issues. Now before you half-wits out there go crazy and say "OH MAN YA MAN THAT MEANS IT'S THE ROUTER MAN YA", slow down for a sec. It may be a router setting issue, yes. But why would the two different routers I've tried this with do the EXACT same thing? The chances of these two routers acting independently on this are slim to none. I've even tried a different modem-to-router ethernet cable but I still have the exact same issue.

Collapse -
Let me share my recent Netgear caper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: OK...

It was similar in such drop outs. We went through 3 routers all updated to the latest firmware and the clue was when I was then to observe the network. Something rang a bell so I did a little research and sure enough there were iPad connect reports. Fortunately there was a proposed cure so I did that and the drops stopped.

In this discussion I have little to work with so I can't look at any part/model/firmware clues.

Sorry but that's all I can offer given the clues so far. It could be the router. It also could be a few other issues like the old Vista Broadcast Flag issue. But again, I'll share some ideas but can't tell if they apply.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.