Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Why does my internet keep cutting out? (Streaming and games)

by Row199 / April 11, 2012 9:58 AM PDT

Howdy folks.

For the past week, I have had internet problems.
When watching Netflix streaming, it stops buffering every 5-15 minutes and I have to reload the page.
When watching Hulu streaming, it stops buffering every 5-15 minutes and I have to reload the page.
An alternate solution that works on Netflix ONLY is to pause (when it stops playing) and wait a little while, then resume playing.
When playing WoW (I know....), I get lag spikes every few minutes and get a message - "You have been disconnected from Battle.net." and then one second later - "You are now connected to Battle.net."

This is getting extremely frustrating.

Details:
I use an ethernet cable - I am not using wireless.
The ethernet cable is relatively new (just bought it about 6 weeks ago).
I run Windows Vista Ultimate on a Dell PC that was bought in the Summer of 2009.
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory - 3070 MB RAM
I have Comcast.
My other two housemates (one wireless, one wired) both say that their internet connectivity, streaming ability, and gaming ability are fantastic.

I have tried powering down and unplugging the router/modem for 30+ seconds.
I have tried restarting my computer.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Row199

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my internet keep cutting out? (Streaming and games)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my internet keep cutting out? (Streaming and games)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This is typical, I'm afraid
by Pepe7 / April 11, 2012 10:40 AM PDT

If it continues for another week, time to call Comcast to cover your bases.

You really don't provide enough details for true investigation here, I'm afraid. Start getting into specifics about your roomies systems, and especially *what* they are doing and *when* they are using your internet connection, and we might possibly be able to diagnose something. But I'll be honest, issues like this w/ streaming services are far from uncommon.

You guys are all on the same ISP/router/system?

Collapse -
Streaming/internet response - Pepe7
by Row199 / April 11, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

I have had my internet be flaky when my roommates are home, when they are not home, when they are using their computers, when their computers are turned off.

We all work during the day, and are all (generally) home at night - typically 8 PM eastern time until 11:30 PM eastern time.
As far as I know, none of us do anything too intense - check email, stream some Netflix/hulu, play some videogames.

One roommate has a Mac laptop. The other has a Dell desktop. What else would assist in troubleshooting?

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Row199

Collapse -
reply to Pepe7
by Row199 / April 11, 2012 11:13 AM PDT

I have had my internet be flaky when my roommates are home, when they are not home, when they are using their computers, when their computers are turned off.

We all work during the day, and are all (generally) home at night - typically 8 PM eastern time until 11:30 PM eastern time.
As far as I know, none of us do anything too intense - check email, stream some Netflix/hulu, play some videogames.

One roommate has a Mac laptop. The other has a Dell desktop. What else would assist in troubleshooting?

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Row199

Collapse -
What happens during the day? Weekend days/nights?
by Pepe7 / April 11, 2012 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to Pepe7

Same issues?

Collapse -
Not sure
by Row199 / April 11, 2012 11:53 PM PDT

I am never on my computer at home during the day Mon-Fri.
Given that these internet problems started up about a week ago, there has only been one weekend to experience the issue. From what I remember, the connectivity was about the same as during the weeknights.
Unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend - otherwise, I could pay more attention to it.

Update: ran a full computer virus scan, and it picked up nothing.
Considering deleting internet cache, doing a disk defrag (lol), and running a spyware check.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.