Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why does my computer screen keep turning green?

by MaiaNexus / July 24, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

I don't think there is anything that causes it, or maybe there is a cause, and I'm just noticing, but my computer screen gets a green tint to it whenever I turn it on. It happens randomly, and stays like that for short periods of time, or even the entire time that the computer is turned on.

What causes this and how can I fix it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my computer screen keep turning green?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my computer screen keep turning green?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Prepare yourself to spend some extra cash
by Blue_Zee / July 24, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

The monitor is dying.

Zee

Collapse -
it IS the monitor....
by reefurbb / July 25, 2005 10:08 PM PDT

There is a red, blue, and green "guns" inside the monitor neck. The green carries the main video signal.
1. try adjusting the monitor colors with knobs or user interface buttons. Also the brightness and contrast. If knobs, the potentiometers connected may be getting dirty tracks. If buttons, sometimes the circuits need kicked around a little.
2. BE VERY CAREFUL...the big tube (CRT) can hold 14,000v for awhile. Open up the monitor, not an easy job maybe, and CAREFULLY work the connector on the rear of the CRT a little off and then back on. The pins of the CRT can get a little corroded and cause slight connecttion problems, causing color changes.
3. If no help after this work, yes, get another monitor.

Collapse -
Service your monitor.
by banshdharm / August 18, 2005 1:19 PM PDT

Your monitor needs servicing by a professional. Monitors are not user serviceable. Do not venture to attempt repairs yourself.

Collapse -
Sam Club 17 in Monitor $99.00
by Earth9111 / August 18, 2005 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Service your monitor.

Don't have someone charge you more than that monitor would cost if you got a new one. It would cost more to repair than it would be to buy a new one. Be smart

Collapse -
I experienced this Green Screen also blue and other hues
by krisanand / August 30, 2005 11:53 AM PDT

I got this same problem sometime back reason, loose display card. check if your display card seats properly in the slot (if you are not using onboard display) or check the cable from the monitor to the CPU. Loose connection, in one word.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.