Computer Help forum

Question

Why does my computer screen freeze?

by susie henderson / November 26, 2011 1:57 AM PST

Computer is a generic PC desktop ACPIx86 Intel core2 cpu, 6300@1.86 ghz. 2gb ram, 32 bit Vista sp2. Windows experience 4.7. It is 5 years old.
Have had three technicians run diagnostics tests on my computer and reinstall graphics drivers, reinstall IE, reinstall Active X. None has stopped the freezing. It will either go black and reboot, or I will reboot it. I ran a stress test on the graphics card, Invidia Ge Force 8500T and it did not fail. The hard drive is new. The freezes occur when I have only one internet site open or if I have four or more. Does anyone know of something else that may cause this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my computer screen freeze?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my computer screen freeze?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
And what is the machine doing when it freezes/reboots?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 2:10 AM PST

If it's playing a video from a web page, try the old FLASH DISABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION (see google.)

But given only the clues so far, I hesitate to guess.
Bob

Collapse -
Computer screen freezes, reboots
by susie henderson / December 3, 2011 5:35 AM PST

Sometimes just moving the cursor causes the screen to freeze. At times I may have more than one window open with graphics running in an advertisement. I reset the ram and my video card will not let me adjust the acceleration. A lot of the times when people in a podcast (on Citrix) say words at a lower tone, the sound stutters for a second or two then recovers and resumes. I do not have games running and the only things I do is watch the stock market with several charts open, but unless I am moving the cursor, the screen won't freeze. This happens maybe once to three times a day, depending how much I am on. At times, the cursor seeems to move a little jerky, but that is not when it freezes. Is there any more information you need? Thank you for your reply.

Collapse -
Citrix? Vista? 2GB?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2011 5:37 AM PST

The more you write the more I'm thinking this machine has always behaved like this.

Collapse -
Screen freezes
by susie henderson / December 3, 2011 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Citrix? Vista? 2GB?

No, it has only been doing this since September this year and I have been trying to find out why every since. Even had a new hard drive put in per advice from Office Depot who said it was getting worn out, but of course that did not solve this problem.

Collapse -
Still so little to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2011 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Screen freezes

Vista was never good to use at 2GB RAM. That's no reason for it to freeze but there are plenty of other causes such as the age has me writing about service life of the Electrolytic Capacitors and how at 5 years I would be tearing it down for it's billion electron service cycle. That is, open it up to clean and this time replace all the old heat sink compound too.

As I clean and button it up I look for any BAD CAPS as well as failed fans.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.