Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Why does MM now need to "prepare" my vids for editing

by AlTheRoadie / December 11, 2012 4:18 AM PST

I've been using MM for a while with no problems. Today I upgraded to the latest version (I lost my old version - it's a long story). Now when I try to add a video to my project MM tells me it's "preparing" the video for use and this may take a while. Problem is it's just taking too long and making the use of MM infeasible for me (admittedly the video I'm adding is a very large file - over 1hr of HD)

In the past I've been able to add equally large video files to a project and start to edit as soon as the file is added. Now I seem to have to wait for MM to "prepare" it. Preparing wasn't necessary in my earlier version of MM. Is this Microsoft's idea of progress?

All my vids are over an hour long so putting together edits from different source files is just not going to be possible for me if I have to wait for what looks like being a very long time each time I add a new file to a project.

Have I missed something obvious with this new version or have Microsoft really had a brain fart?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does MM now need to "prepare" my vids for editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does MM now need to "prepare" my vids for editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
MM preparing videos
by Samwsn / January 2, 2014 7:01 AM PST

Hi Roadi, I am heavily using MM 2012 (build 16.4.3508.0205)

As I started out with the first version in 2002? I have seen some improvements as well as degradations e.g. in available effects and transitions and stuff. I turned away a few years from MM but... found nothing better or more comfortable nor versatile.

It would be nice to have personal settings such as Fonts, Size, templates rather than set them up each session. However, MM2012 is stable and doing a good job for me, moreover as it will process an amzing variety of video-formats!

As to your question please look in Options/Advanced and I am sure you will find your answer.
Also when I import ready-made .mp4 vidoes agin it will preprocess them and I find that, after it is done, editing is very easy and fluid.

Collapse -
Post is 387 days old.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 2, 2014 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: MM preparing videos

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.