Windows 8 forum

Question

Why does Java keep messing up in Windows8 IE10?

by glorym / February 26, 2013 4:06 PM PST

I have to delete Java totally off my computer and reinstall it almost every day. It works for a while and them starts giving me an error message : Current Java not installed and gives a link to install. Sometimes it just does not open. I always follow the instructions on the Java site and the same problems happen again. I need Java for my gaming site POGO. Does someone know how to stop this problem???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Java keep messing up in Windows8 IE10?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Java keep messing up in Windows8 IE10?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There is a big problem with Java
by orlbuckeye / February 26, 2013 8:18 PM PST

right now with security. Back about a month ago the Dept of Homeland Security issued a warning for what is called Zero Day attack. What is happening is Oracle is fixing security leaks and the hackers are searching for new security holes. The news hit right around version 1.7_10 and now they are up to version 1.7_15 with security updates. I just got a notice to upgrade to 1.7_15 Monday. Java is a programming language that is written for multiple OS's and it requires what is called Java Runtime environment. When you go to certain bad websites they have bad code that finds security holes in JRE and runs some unwanted code that can things you really don't want. Some people advise removing Java completely. I have this problem at work we have a payroll system that is written in java and will not run without java and is dependent on a specific version of java and that came out in 2010. So our security team is trying to come up with a solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-day_attack

Collapse -
Software dependent on specific version of Java - my solution
by neher5 / March 1, 2013 6:45 PM PST

Hi OrlBuckeye,

Have a similar problem with software which needs a particular version of Java, and with software which is no longer being updated.

My solution for both is to run them on a dedicated machine, which does not have an internet (or even a local network ... ) connection.

That may seem inconvenient, but sure gets around any outside problems : anything happening on that computer is done via the keyboard and mouse, and I trust the person who works on my accounts won't introduce any nasties in the computer.

Back-ups are to a pair of USB thumbdrives which are (alternatingly) used exclusively for that machine.

Hope this experience helps in deciding on a solution.

Best,

Collapse -
Well the problem is
by orlbuckeye / March 3, 2013 8:44 PM PST

the application runs on a server (side our firewall) so a network connection is needed. Also it's a payroll application and it's on 2000 desktops. We are able to stop users from getting update messages from Oracle but recently Chrome is forcing you to install java updates. Firefox is disabling Java completely which is fixable through enabling under addin's in off the tools menu.

Collapse -
My problem is the application that needs
by orlbuckeye / August 19, 2013 10:03 PM PDT

Java is an enterprise web application running on 2000 computers. We just turn off the ability for uses to upgrade. But for users with administrative rights that doesn't work so we educate those users and tell them not answer yes when it asks to upgrade Java.

Collapse -
Answer
For now, JAVA is a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 2:04 AM PST

Ask POGO if they will be offering a JAVA free site soon.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
It may actually be your browser!!!
by gordon451 / March 1, 2013 9:46 AM PST

OK, orlbuckeye does have a point. But Java isn't the only one with multiple vulnerabilities -- all your software should be upgraded at reasonable intervals, just to keep up with the (bad)Joneses.

Having said that, IE10 ain't that great in the first place. As well, are you running IE10x64 or x32? Certainly on my W7x64, IE9x64 is severely crippled, and I have no reason to believe Microsoft has done much better with IE10.

These days, everyone should run at least two browsers. I use K-Meleon 1.6.0b2 for first preference, then Opera 12.01, and IE9x32 when all else fails. After seeing the FF and Crome disasters on my offsprings' lappies, I ain't going there. If you're wondering, I see no reason K-Meleon can't run on W8. It's an antique Gecko engine, but well able to keep up speedwise with today's offerings, and it has surprisingly advanced security features.

Back on security: what does your anti-virus tell you? I use Avast!, and pay great attention to the Behaviour, Script and Web Shields, as well as the old-gold File Shield.

So, try another browser, and see if the problem continues.

Gordon.

Collapse -
Answer
Adobe Flash is
by orlbuckeye / March 3, 2013 8:46 PM PST

another vulnerable software package. Someday Aflash may not be needed as things are shifting over to HTML5.

Collapse -
Answer
One thing to try is to go
by orlbuckeye / March 3, 2013 8:51 PM PST

to Control Panel and click on the Java shortcut anf the java control panel will come up. Under temporary Internet files click settings then delete files check both boxes and hit OK this will clear out you java cache. Also clear your files in IE.

Collapse -
Answer
Java
by Christophermarry100 / March 5, 2013 1:08 PM PST

I then went into the registry to manually reset the DMA. I then rebooted and success! The PIO was reset to DMA.

Collapse -
Answer
Fix for IE 10 Desktop Mode & Win 8 64 bit & Java 7 32 bit
by larryhyman / August 18, 2013 8:41 AM PDT

The only way I could get the latest java (7 update 25, 32 bit) to run ALL THE TIME in Internet Explorer 10 desktop mode (in Windows 8 64 bit) was to create a new shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Then hitting advanced (in the shortcut) and choosing RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

If you do not want to do that (for security reasons), the work around that I found, was to install Chrome (as Java works all the time) and use that for sites that require Java.

I hope that helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.