Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Why does iTunes always lose my songs?

by mmuulinn / March 19, 2013 4:12 PM PDT

I'm on a Macbook Pro running Lion with iTunes 11. For the past year, iTunes randomly loses about 20 songs at a time and says it lost the location of the songs. I go into the Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music folder and search for the songs but they're completely gone. I didn't change the name of any of the folders or files.

In the beginning I would actually go and re-download each song individually but once I put all of those songs back, ANOTHER set of 20 songs would be lost. The songs it loses are completely random, and sometimes the songs are songs I downloaded several years ago.

Does anyone know a way to prevent this from happening?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does iTunes always lose my songs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does iTunes always lose my songs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem
by 1Mordecai / April 7, 2013 10:20 AM PDT

I have the same problem, except it deletes all of my songs at the same time. I have had this happen 3 out of the 5 times I have opened iTunes this week. Talk about being frustrated.... Sad

Collapse -
Answer
Same Issue But Much Larger Scale
by jpbenham / January 8, 2014 11:37 AM PST

I have the same problem but Itunes has lost 1,350 songs currently. I keep my music on an external and fill up a 160 gb ipod. I have re-loaded the songs in the past but inevitably it will happen again. I have wondered if it was the format of the songs but that does not appear to be case. I am not sure if it was because sometimes I don't have the drive plugged in when itunes is opened but if it happens to you when the music is on your computer that must not be the case. Is there a way to sort the lirbary to ID all of the songs not found? Maybe I could identify some sort of pattern. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Just a sanity check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2014 2:21 AM PST

If you have a collection like that, wouldn't we have backups?

Also, since each song is a file, couldn't we check that the folder and get a count of the songs in that folder to keep track?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.