Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

WHY DOES INTERNET EXPLORER KEEP CRASHING?!

by TeknoGroover / October 12, 2004 6:06 PM PDT

I'm surfing the net, and all of a sudden, BOOM! "Internet Explorer has had a fatal error and must close". And after that, IE will continuously do it. Any help please~

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHY DOES INTERNET EXPLORER KEEP CRASHING?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHY DOES INTERNET EXPLORER KEEP CRASHING?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
''It'' needs fixing.
by Cursorcowboy / October 12, 2004 9:15 PM PDT

1. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

2. However start by downloading and using "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Collapse -
Use Firefox
by JLP / October 14, 2004 9:16 PM PDT

The smartest thing you can do is stop using Internet Explorer. Start using some modern browser with more usefull features and better standards support and that is more secure. I recommend Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com/), but Mozilla and Opera are also much better then IE.

Collapse -
Re: Use Firefox
by TeknoGroover / October 15, 2004 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Use Firefox

I downloaded it and love it! NO CRASHING! The only thing I miss is the Google Toolbar. Besides that, it's exactly like IE. THANKS!

Collapse -
Re: WHY DOES INTERNET EXPLORER KEEP CRASHING?!
by Wellander / October 15, 2004 7:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
by rub / October 22, 2004 2:51 AM PDT

Welcome to the club. I've had nothing but crash after crash since I installed XP Pro 2 years ago. I went into Sys Config, startup, and shut down everything I thought I could do without. It seemed to help a little. Conflict with apps? Maybe. I reinstalled IE more times than I could count ( along with XP Pro about once a month on average ). I still can't figure out how to completely remove IE but I managed a few times. I also get trojans with great regularity. So I now have Norton AV, newly installed Giant Antispyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWshredder and Hijack-This installed and used regularly. Giant seems to have done the most to stabilize IE. It has intercepted the trojans, cleaned them and a bunch of other malware out, and the crashes have been greatly reduced. Giant removed Cool Web as well as CWshredder. Slimbrowser, MyIE, and Avant are much more stable browsers but malware can crash them too. The nice thing about the alternative browsers is re-opening the same windows after the re-start. Not an answer to your problem buta few points to consider and try.

Collapse -
by somabello / October 22, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

That always happens to me too and the only way I could fixed was formating the hard drive (I had a second hard disk where I keep all my important information, so the inconvient was reinstalling everything again really). But, Norton System work 2004 has a utility (Windoctor) that fix at lot of XP problems. I think that could help you. Still does it anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.