Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Why does Firefox need 700KK for memory (or 700,000K)???

by oshunj / January 29, 2009 5:39 AM PST

Okay, so after total frustration with IE crash and burning I downloaded Firefox and spent time learning the minor nuances of a different browser.

Since I always hear from the *anti-Microsoft crowd* how great Firefox is I expected much better performance than I am getting.

Why after only a few weeks of Firefox, adding a few cool gadgets (think Greasemonkey, Noscript<&surviving the learning mode>, etc.) I now find my browser <Firefox> eating 700,000K of memory. I thought IE was bad eating 6,000 or 10,000 and killing my session. But this seems to be out of control.

And, to top it off, I don't think Firefox has ever been properly closed. I don't right remember but it seems a reasonable guess when ever time I open Firefox I get the *Firefox closed unexpectedly, would u like to restore to your previous session or start a new one* dialog box.

Okay, so what gives? Adding a few add-ons should not make firefox unstable, and such make my entire PC run at snail-lazy speed. So what is wrong with Firefox...and yes, I have ample memory, and run free ant-spyware (AVG,spyware blaster, spybot, Ad-aware)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Especially since my introduction to Greasemonkey and other cool Firefox Addons, I'm not wanting to go back to IE....

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Firefox need 700KK for memory (or 700,000K)???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Firefox need 700KK for memory (or 700,000K)???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not an answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Okay, but...
by oshunj / January 29, 2009 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Not an answer.

Thanks, I guess I will just have to hunt and peck. Though it should really be plug n play not plug, play, tweak, n then work....ughhh I don't know that Firefox is any better than Microsoft. <rant off>

<rant back on>
This, I personally find totally unacceptable, although, I guess it is a free application....

"Restarting Firefox

If you find that Firefox's memory usage continues to grow after long periods of being open, you may want to consider periodically restarting Firefox to bring the memory usage back to reasonable levels. The Session Manager extension allows you to close Firefox while maintaining the pages you have open."

If such a tweak is necessary, shouldn't Mozilla have inserted this piece of code...*If memory usage > XX, Release XX amount of memory* or something....

<rant off 4 real>

Collapse -
I'm looking for a perfect programmer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Okay, but...

So you are looking for bug free stuff too?

Collapse -
There could be other issues
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 8:10 PM PST

Whilst some add-ons may cause performance problems, (including memory), that may not be the only cause.

You said in your first post that IE crashed and burned, but not why. Do you have other issues with this computer, eg generally slow or poor performance, etc?

What do you do to protect your system from malware such as hackers, viruses, spyware, etc? When did you last scan for viruses and other forms of malware?

What are your system specs? Low RAM will cause a slow down, as will too many startup files, too many processes, to many services, etc.

Mark

Collapse -
Lost long post but...
by oshunj / January 29, 2009 11:14 PM PST

I'm really upset now...I just spent 20 mintes writing a long post answering your questions in detail and lost it......

Shorter reply to your questions is, my sysetm is probably fine. I just upgraded my system to 2Gig memory, 2 weeks ago. I think that is why IE was acting weird. Especially after the upgrade to version with tabs things got completely out of control. Haven't really used IE since the upgrade though.

I use AVG viruschecker, spybot, adaware, spywareblaster, my router has a firewall enabled, and I use Windows firewall/or Zone labs...can't remember which one is still installed. Also, before I upgraded my memory, I did a complete system cleanup with the free virus/spyware checkers online. Registry cleaners, process checkers, uninstalled unused programs, and cleaned up restore points/cleared caches, deleted temp files, etc., etc. So I really don't think it is something with my system, although it is possible.

Also, this Firefox unstable thing is happening with my PC at work as well. And it seems a common complaint about firefox eating up RAM and making the entire sysetm slow. Anyway, sorry for the rambling. My previous post was much more elegant and bullet pointed...but losing it was dagger...

Collapse -
OK
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Lost long post but...

I feel your pain about the posting. It has happened to me on occasion, and when it does, it is always a long, involved post. So I sympathize.

Your anti-malware seems OK, but you may want to check you don't have both the Windows Firewall and ZoneAlarm on at the same time. It shouldn't happen, ZA should disable the Windows firewall, but I suppose it can happen. Also, I was a little surprised where you said you can't remember which one is installed, Happy Since ZA places an icon in the System tray, it should be visible all the time.

The 2GB of RAM is great, but I just wonder. Additional RAM should not affect IE, except to improve performance, and since you say Firefox is eating up memory I wonder about that additional RAM. Is it faulty? Not my expertise though.

Tell us how many Firefox Add-ons you have. I have 8, and my Task Manager shows me that memory usage is only 1290,112 KB.

If you are convinced that there is something wrong with Firefox, then have a look at John Wilkinson's "Repairing Firefox" post in the Forum Sticky here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=247371&messageID=2484636&tag=forums06;posts#2484636

Perhaps a complete uninstall and clean re-install, adding Add-ons one by one and checking memory usage after each, is the way to go.

Mark

Collapse -
Mozilla
by Phil Crase / January 29, 2009 10:27 PM PST

Sounds as if you have other issues in your system, typically FIREFOX is cleaner than IE, by a bit. Could be you have something in the shadows creating issues, malware, spyware, etc.

Collapse -
Firefox build
by white-bread / February 1, 2009 4:45 PM PST

You can build and customize it yourself including settings.
Why do you want it handed to you?
Use this analogy: If you travel to a foreign country- which all are- you may want to learn a few phrases.
Of course, with the attitude of many Windows users they would want: A translator to help them, a book, a brain graft that would allow them to have instant years of experience, the ability to force others to understand their language, and last but not least: superbitching powers- so that they can whine and complain.

Collapse -
Some other issue?
by denjones / February 2, 2009 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox build

I'm using Firefox exclusively. In the task manager it says Firefox is using up 72235k and I have 13 extensions, 4 themes and 16 plug-ins. It runs fast and furious. I wouldn't switch.

Collapse -
Firefox using 700,000k (solution)
by YazooRiver / September 24, 2012 12:45 PM PDT

Oshunj, I too had FF running amoke, freezing my system by accumulatively using all available memory. The solution is to install the "NoScript" addon. After installing, the NoScript website should open. Click the link for NoScript features and/or YouTube/Google it for how to configure. My system freed 500,000k with this addon. Oh and by the way White-Bread get a grip. If you took your car to a mechanic, I doubt he would accuse you of being a "superbitchy, whinny, complainer for asking for advise. No need for moronic comments, especially at 12:45am when you've been drinking! Good Luck Oshunj!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.