Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Why Does Explorer 8 Constantly Freeze Up?

by JCipo / January 9, 2009 12:46 PM PST

I have never had sooo many "Your browser has stopped working" messages with my Explorer 8 (8.5?). Is there a patch or something? My Firefox doesn't have this problem. I even have lockups with the latest MSN Messenger. Are both items from Windows? What is wrong with their new stuff?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why Does Explorer 8 Constantly Freeze Up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why Does Explorer 8 Constantly Freeze Up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is a BETA version...
by John.Wilkinson / January 9, 2009 1:57 PM PST

Internet Explorer 7 is the latest, and recommended, stable version. IE8 is a BETA version with known issues, made available specifically so that others can test it out and provide feedback. To resolve the issue try uninstalling IE8, which will automatically revert to IE7 or IE6, depending on your operating system. And in the future do not install beta software unless you are willing to accept the bugs the 'beta' tag is meant to designate.

John

Collapse -
Solution - Internet Explorer 7 & 8 freezes
by Rajiv Singh Suwal / November 17, 2009 3:54 AM PST

Problem:
If you have upgraded your browser from IE 6 to IE 7 -Or from IE 7 to IE 8, you should also be looking into the add-ons that you installed when you had the older versions of Internet Explorer.

The companies who created the add-ons doesn't always upgrade them when Microsoft releases its new version of IE. So there's always a chance of some add-ons to be incompatible with the new version of the Internet Explorer.

Solution:
In the Internet Explorer: Go to Tools => Internet Options => Programs (Tab) and then click on 'Manage Add-ons'. From the list of add-ons, disable all add-ons except for those in the Microsoft Publisher list.
One example of a known problem with add-ons is Skype's add-on. If you have it , remove and get the latest from the Skype's web site.

Cheers !

Collapse -
more...
by Rajiv Singh Suwal / November 28, 2009 3:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Does this include Active X add-ons?
by kzolady / January 15, 2010 1:27 PM PST

I have a ton of add-ons. What is the worst that could happen if I delete something that I need?

Collapse -
Glad to know IE7 was the last stable one
by Chigal48 / September 19, 2011 10:17 PM PDT

I have IE 7 and so far no BIG problems. I cannot download IE8 or 9, because of "this type of file can harm your computer."
Stick with IE7 -- it's slow, but stable.

Collapse -
Rew: IE8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 19, 2011 10:23 PM PDT

That was 2 years ago, that IE7 was the last stable one.

And what program tells you that download IE8 and IE9 from Microsoft can harm your computer? That's crazy. Using IE7 can harm your computer, because it's less safe than current versions.

Kees

Collapse -
That is a BETA version...
by Goreah / August 29, 2012 8:22 AM PDT

It is now 3 years later, IE8 is supposed to be the "stable" version, but the problem persists.

Collapse -
Explorer 8 constantly freezes up
by teds48 / November 17, 2010 4:21 PM PST

To John Wilkinson
Your reply that Explorer 8 is a Beta version was written Jan 09, almost 2 years ago. Is E8 still a Beta version? It is still freezing up on me also.
It happens with various MS OS. Could this possibly be yet another MS screw up?
E9 is now being lauded as the Beta version - Nov 2010
Thanks for any suggestions.

Collapse -
Re: IE8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2010 6:01 PM PST

IE8 is quite stable with me. Nothing wrong with it (except that some members say not to use it).

The usual reason: some add-on. Use Tools>Manage Add-ons to disable all and find the culprit. Or something wrong deeper in Windows (in the TCP-IP protocol or your antivirus). But that should have effect on browsing with Firefox or Chrome also.

Kees

Collapse -
Switch!
by kytro360 / January 8, 2011 11:56 AM PST

I suggest switching to Firefox, it is much more stable and faster

Collapse -
The question wasn't about Firefox
by RenshBreni / August 18, 2011 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Switch!

The question wasn't about finding a different browser, yes yes yes, we all know about Firefox.

Collapse -
Why Does Explorer 8 Constantly Freeze Up?
by riya15 / August 25, 2011 10:16 PM PDT

Try resetting Internet explorer to default, that should fix it, go to the advanced internet options and select Reset.

Webroot Software might be the reason for it.
Their Spy Sweeper anti spyware program would ba causing IE to hang up. ake periodic image backups with Acronis and install
programs, Then
start installing the same programs until the problem developed.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer Freeze Up
by michelsmith / September 20, 2011 9:46 PM PDT

Hi,

As the simplest method, simply reset your browser might serve the purpose. When you reset, you should keep it in mind to turn off all the add-ons that might be affecting your PC and check that thoroughly and you can also reset the Internet Explorer settings. For this, you need to go to tools on the browser Window. Next click on 'Internet options', then on the tab reading 'Advanced' and click on the 'Reset' button. This may help in the easiest way to fix your problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.