Computer Newbies forum

Why does Cnet include junk/spyware when I download progr

by pghfan / October 26, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

Every time I download a program from their there is some kind of junk/spyware in the download. There is no way to get the program w/o accepting the junk they include! I had to use Malwarebites to get rid of the most recent one. I am very disappointed in Cnet! I always thought they were a trustworthy site to get downloads.
Not anymore! Beware people!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Cnet include junk/spyware when I download progr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Cnet include junk/spyware when I download progr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 3:36 PM PDT

Let me see the one you are not able to directly download.

Collapse -
Too Many Download Buttons?
by mchainmchain / October 26, 2012 4:48 PM PDT

Tip: Take your mouse cursor and move to hover over the download button.

Look down in the lower left corner to see/read the url the download button links to.

Should be different for each download button you see.

If you do not want to do all that, use this add on here:

Works for Firefox, Chrome, Safari.

Does not work for Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
I agree
by BillG19805 / January 6, 2013 7:10 AM PST

I always looked to CNET as a reliable and trustworthy site. Every download contains junk add on files. Really changing my opinion of them and it's a shame.

Collapse -
Have had the same problem recently
by The ancient one / January 8, 2013 8:10 AM PST

Just recently I download several programs that came with junk and I had to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of the junk. And because I was having some problems with my computer at that time I also had to reinstall the program only to end up with the junk and then had to delete that. Lately, I have tried to get the downloads from the original source rather than using CNET when ever that is possible. Don't ask me which programs, because I did not keep that info. I guess, if in the future I should have that problem, I should post it in the forum with what program was downloaded and what unwanted programs came with it.

Collapse -
Avoid CNET and its junk/spyware
by JMaples / April 7, 2013 2:44 AM PDT

Used to be such a reliable site

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.