Computer Help forum

Why does Chrome scramble my ads but Firefox doesn't?

by awayego / November 12, 2012 7:58 AM PST

I have a couple of ads on a website but when I access the site using Chrome my photos are either missing or replaced by irrelevant images. Other fields on the website are also 'scrambled'. When I access the site using Firefox everything is fine.
I've tried clearing all history and cookies in Chrome - didn't work.
I then de-installed Chrome and downloaded afresh - also didn't work.
I'm using Windows 7.
Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Chrome scramble my ads but Firefox doesn't?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Chrome scramble my ads but Firefox doesn't?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Chrome also 'scrambles' pages on other websites
by awayego / November 15, 2012 9:41 PM PST

I should add that it's not just the website that my ads are on that is being 'scrambled' by Chrome - other website pages are also 'scrambled' ie double images, missing fields etc.
Fire fox accesses the same sites without any problem.
What is it about Chrome - are the settings wrong that it does this?
I'm at a loss.

All Answers

Collapse -
I don't see the issue here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 12:49 AM PST

Let's have a link so I can check the code with

Collapse -
Chrome 'scrambling'
by awayego / November 16, 2012 8:51 AM PST

Here is the link to the website with my ads. Although not the link to my personal ads page, even this link, for me, results in the this home page having inappropriate photos against the ads listed.

Here is another link that I use often - when I access using Chrome there is a vertical string of irrelevant icons obscuring the centre of the page.

Both these sites, when accessed through Firefox are perfectly OK.

Collapse -
Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 m on W7 64 bit here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Chrome 'scrambling'

Both sites in SeaMonkey and Chrome looked fine.

Try this. Log in on another Windows Account and try again.

Collapse -
by awayego / November 16, 2012 1:27 PM PST

I first had to download Chrome again as the other User Account didn't have it.
I then accessed the same sites without any problems apparent.

I've tried to include a couple of screenshots here but there doesn't seem to be any way of attaching them and they won't paste here either.

When, back to Chrome my Windows User Account, I tried to enlarge any of my photos on the website the enlargement has the wrong photo against a weird background which repeatedly says ". . LASIKScreen . . .".

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 1:37 PM PST

I can't guess but it sounds like the same old issues where something in that account is messed up. Remember there are a few thousand causes but odd to read you had to download chrome again. I usually find all I need is another shortcut. You're writing that makes me think that you need to brush up on Windows shortcuts a little.

For now I'd have to say to try removing chrome and it's user folder too. See google on how.

Collapse -
by awayego / November 16, 2012 4:30 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

OK, I'm the first to admit to being somewhat technophobic and semi-virginal in such matters but, at 64, I claim some mitigation due to age and rapidly dying braincells! I accept, though still resent hugely, that to use a computer requires background 'technical' knowledge although it seems to me that more and more 'expertise' is required.
I will "brush up on Windows shortcuts" whatever they are (only joking!) and see where that leads me - I am always willing to learn.You have already, in a way, demonstrated that so many things can go wrong that not even an 'expert' (at the very least compared to me!) such as yourself can pinpoint the cause, at least within the time constraints of a forum such as this.
Nevertheless, I appreciate your efforts and thank you for your time.
Now, where is that mouse thing so I can get out of here?!

Collapse -
My mouse is on my right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Shortcuts

The troubleshooting of such issues is going to dog Microsoft it seems. Even Windows 8 appears to have similar issues. So for now it appears we get to still dive in.

Hope something clicked for you in this discussion.

Collapse -
All is good!
by awayego / November 19, 2012 9:37 AM PST

Hi again!
Just to let you know. I found out a little more about Windows 7 desktop shortcuts and even "file associations"(?!) and finished up downloading and merging all the default file associations from this site/page:

Happy to say that that seems to have solved the problem- no more 'scrambling' of web pages!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." (GBS)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.