Computer Help forum

Question

Why does Adobe Flash Player crash so often?

by ssh49tn / December 7, 2012 9:50 AM PST

I have an HP Presario CQ56, with 64 bit, WIndows 7. But, when I play games at Facebook, or at Zynga.com, my flash continually crashes. Whether I use Chrome, Firefox, or IE, it crashes. This has been going on for over a year now, & I'm really getting fed up with it. NOBODY has any workable solutions. I've tried everything suggested, from Adobe, Google, from CEGamers, Firefox, & not one suggestion has worked. I uninstalled, reinstalled, temporarily shut down my antivirus program, still crashes. And, there are a LOT of people out there who have the same problem, plus there are also a lot of people who DON'T, & use the same programs that I use. Anybody got any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Adobe Flash Player crash so often?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Adobe Flash Player crash so often?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
While it is nice to know that ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 7, 2012 11:17 AM PST

you have "tried everything" it leaves us wondering exactly WHAT you have actually tried.

The problem you describe is often symptomatic of having hardware acceleration enabled. You can EASILY test to see if this applies to you or not by FIRST looking at this link and carefully noting EXACTLY how the little display window looks - http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html (go ahead and read the info also)

SECOND go to this link http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/info/en/help/requirements/flash.html

You should see some spheres and play buttons. IGNORE the buttons and RIGHT CLICK on the spheres to bring up a context menu. Near the bottom you should see the selection labeled Settings ... - select that and you should see the little window from the previous link. If you do not see the Disable hardware acceleration line with check box you need to click the icon at the bottom left corner of the window. Once there UNCHECK it and then go and visit Facebook or Zynga AFTER closing then restarting your browser and let us know what develops.

Collapse -
Why does flash player crash?
by ssh49tn / December 7, 2012 12:40 PM PST

Ok, that didn't work. And, sorry to not tell you all that I've tried. LOL! But, I've deleted cookies, cleaned out my history, uninstalled the browsers, then reinstalled, uninstalled the flash player, then reinstalled it, & I've done that with Chrome, Firefox, & Internet Explorer, & the flash player crashes. But, it only does it on games created by Zynga, & only on 2 of those, Farmville, & Castleville. I used to play Farmville all the time using IE, until they started that hidden object game, & said for it to work, you had to use Chrome. That worked for about 6 months, & that was that. I have a different laptop now too, & it still does the same thing, on the same games. And, of course, Zynga blames Adobe, & Adobe blames Zynga. I can play videos, you tube, etc, without any problem. And, these are basically the only 2 games that I really like to play. So, other than giving up, or just playing until it crashes, I don't know what else to try. If you have any more suggestions, let me know!

Collapse -
Flash player crashes
by ssh49tn / December 7, 2012 1:20 PM PST

Ok, I didn't shut down, & reopen my browser, (didn't read that part), so went back & did it again, closed Chrome then reopened it, & so far it's working. Thanks for the help!!

Collapse -
Flash Player Crash
by Tivel / March 11, 2013 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash player crashes

Sometimes the less you know the better. After stumbling around with the various troubleshooting fixes I clicked on a tutorial using flash player and right clicked on settings at bottom right this was one of the troubleshooting "solutions". I did not, however find the info as stated in the instructions. But in a "What the hell mood" I left clicked and chose the highest speed HD setting, then started up the video and to my great surprise
IT WORKED!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.