Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why does a Hidden File Keep Popping Up in Temp Folder?

by rogerthai / March 3, 2005 11:16 AM PST

Many times after booting up my computer and going on line I notice a heavy download of data flow thru my Internet Connection to my computer. I am not running any programs that require downloads after Start Up, not even my Norton AntiVirus. I have all Norton Programs disabled on Start Up. The Hidden File in my Temp Folder is ( BIT1.tmp ). I have to cut my Internet Connection before deleting this File. I think this file comes from the Windows Core Files to download for the Windows XP Operating System. I can halt the download after I delete this hidden file from my Temp folder, but the same file usually keeps popping up in my Temp Folder most of the time on the next boot up. Does anyone know exactly what this File is? The Search Option on Windows XP can not find this file. That is why I am inclined to believe this is one of Windows XP Files downloading data for the operating system or worse yet downloading data for self serving reasons for Microsoft. Any Help will be much appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does a Hidden File Keep Popping Up in Temp Folder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does a Hidden File Keep Popping Up in Temp Folder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have autoupdate enabled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 11:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, but No Trojans Spyware, etc.
by rogerthai / March 3, 2005 11:56 PM PST

I have disabled all of Windows XP Updates Totally. This is a new Copy of Windows XP 2002 Home Edition that I have installed. I usually save all my data on my computer and Clean my Hard Drive and reinstall Windows XP about every 2 months. Before I surf the internet I always reinstall my Norton AntiVirus and Run Updates to be current on Virus Protection as well as Trojans, Spyware, etc. This file, I am 99.9% sure is coming from the Windows Core Files. I just want to find out what Windows is trying to download. All the Windows Updates have been disabled and configured to run only when I allow them to, but I am sure that Windows has backup systems to do what they want. They do not want the users to be 100% in control. What are your thoughts about that?? Anxiously waiting for your reply..

Collapse -
same problem
by PLOK / July 2, 2005 5:53 PM PDT

I've got exactly the same problem(see discussion started by me (BIT*TMP files).
Bob is helping me, but tell me one thing, especially to Bob: Have you any P2P(emule 1.1d) software installed?

I didn't resolve the problem yet. Very tricky this one.
There is a line in register:

which can't be eliminated.
I've tried all kind of security software(spybot, adawrae, hijackthis, rootkit, xsoftspy). No way to get rid of these bit*tmp files.

Collapse -
For Plok.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2005 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem

No and good luck with your battle.

Did you take my advice? If not, we're done and over. Let others help you since I can't.

Collapse -
Please clarify...
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2005 8:02 PM PDT
All the Windows Updates have been disabled and configured to run only when I allow them to

May I ask how did you disabled all the Windows update and configured it ? At msconfig ? At services.msc ? Anywhere else ? Do you have SP2 ?

You also mentioned that you have disabled all of Norton's programs on startup, meaning you are unprotected when you go on the Net ?
Collapse -
by PLOK / July 2, 2005 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify...

I disabled automatic updates at services.msc and the microsoft windows XP automatic update options. Yes, SP2 installed.

I've no security running automatically, I activate Panda antivirus manually and have my pc "immunized" by spybot.

After running hijackthis the following LOG was displayed:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:15:29, on 03/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\Archivos de programa\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\apvxdwin.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\BySoft StayAlive Pro\StayAlive.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = V

Collapse -
I've no security running automatically
by glb613 / July 2, 2005 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarifying

Not a good idea if you get on the internet. Is there a reason why you don't?

Collapse -
The reason why
by PLOK / July 3, 2005 1:36 AM PDT

I wrote that I didn't run any security software automatically, but BEFORE I go online I activate them all(anti spyware, panda antivrues, firewall...)

Collapse -
... no security running automatically...
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2005 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarifying

Time to run an on-line scan at HOUSECALL

Sorry, I am not an HJT expert.

Collapse -
For Papa.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2005 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify...

Plok is a P2P user that feels "it can't be that."

If they hide this fact, it's not nice to those that help them.

Collapse -
Re: P2P user
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2005 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: For Papa.

Hope they can a solution at some P2P forum.

Collapse -
No secret P2P user
by PLOK / July 3, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: P2P user

I've never hidden the fact that my boy installed P2P software.
Never lied avbout this fact, never, never, never.
I don't like to lie about things that can be important, but not trying to help somebody, just because you don't like P2P software, completely legal as far as I know in Europe. I told all of you again and again that before I became an internet paria, that is before my boy installed this emule I had this same problem, long long long before I even heard of P2P software. No relation at all with this software, otherwise I would be looking for a solution in a P2P forum, wouldn't I. I'm getting tired of this nonsense. Maybe there's some other reason not trying to help me. One more clue before I jump from the Eiffel Tower, guilty of using P2P(Yes, my son is using P2P software): could the problem be a parental control named pc tattletale?
Again, I stand guilty(but I never hid the fact)

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 3, 2005 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: No secret P2P user

... the Bit*.Tmp files can be produced by Auto-Windows Update, and maybe the Bit-Torrent P2P program. Are you using Bit-Torrent ? If P2P is not on your machine, it may be a different matter. If you have disabled Automatic Windows Update, what is showing at ''services.msc'' upon reboot ? If you go to Windows Update, do you get the message that Automatic Windows update is off and advised to put it on ?

Collapse -
no automatic updates
by PLOK / July 4, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: OK..

Thank you

Hope this discussion's going back to normal.
On the services.msc the automatic updates is turned off.
Maybe there's a clue for you. In another forum a guy had the same problem and discovered that a connection to the IP was made. Is this the beginning of a sultion? I really hope so.
P.s. never used other P2P software than emule 1.1d.
In an emule foprum nobody ever heard of this bit.tmp files.

Again, thank you very much for your trouble.

Collapse -
Re "in another forum"
by jonah jones / July 4, 2005 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: no automatic updates

the guy also said,
"a connection to the IP is made. I blocked this IP and the files where no longer protected. I then deleted them."

have you tried the same?

Collapse -
by PLOK / July 4, 2005 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re "in another forum"

Yes I'm trying and trying, but my knowledge is very limited so it will take me quite some time.
But luckily the web is wide.

Collapse -
Programs running....
by Papa Echo / July 4, 2005 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: no automatic updates

After you have gone on-line, what are in the list at the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) ?

Collapse -
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
by PLOK / July 5, 2005 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Programs running....

Bob gave me the clue. I finally "deciphered" his, for me at least, cryptic messages and it was in services.msc where I deactivated the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Worked perfectly.

Thank you, Bob.
P.s. Bob, I'll try to convince my boy to leave P2P software alone, but I can't promise, because he's 14 years old and very stubborn.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.