How To forum

Why does a great tablet (Acer A100) have such bad support?

by birdmom9726 / October 6, 2011 4:17 AM PDT

I would like to know why a company like Acer would push out a great tablet w/all the bells and whistles and then provide terrible support for it. No accessories available, not even a car charger. Buyers are pretty much on their own, asking each other where to buy accessories. Why is this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does a great tablet (Acer A100) have such bad support?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does a great tablet (Acer A100) have such bad support?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Maybe because the car charger is fungible?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
flawed product, usb does not charge
by CLundO / February 26, 2013 3:13 AM PST

first off I would like to say that if anyone has any advice we're solutions to these problems please contact or respond to this post thank you.

the USB does not charge the product is simply a port,to charge it uses an AC adapter, an adapter that is very uncommon and can only be provided through the acer website. Radio Shack and do not have a compatible charger available.

it is true that there are no accessories available through Acer or another vendor that are made for this product. acer has stopped all production support for this tablet. It was outdated the moment I bought it which is when it first came out.

the software for this tablet almost never works and simple things like checking your email causes the tablet to freeze and close constantly. I rarely go more than a few seconds on the tablet before it freezes and asks if I want to send error report. which I almost always do but nothing good has come of it.

also, even though it runs the same Android software as other tablets and phone, it is not compatible with almost any web sites or flash players as well as many widgets and apps on the android market.

It has been a large disappointment, especially since I did a lot of research before I bought it as well as look at product reviews and went into retail stores and look at it myself.

all of its features and design made it stand out and it seemed to be a great choice. But there has been no support from Acer and it has been dropped from all retailers so it pretty much became useless within a few months.

if anyone has any advice or ideas please respond, thank you very much

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 3:19 AM PST

Given the problems this tablet has, you should move directly to the return counter and get your money back.

I don't have that model to play with but I'm finding support to be worse than ever and the flood of tablets has many users screaming. Most are OK with the new systems but let's be frank. Not everyone is picking up how to use these things.

-> You're right. No support. It's like these are being sold as disposable lighters. Work great for awhile and then you get another.

Collapse -
by CLundO / February 26, 2013 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

Was hoping(regrettably) things would get better, or more support would arise. So it has been too long to return. Maybe Gazelle will give me some money for it...

Collapse -
I see they updated the OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: yeah,

But that's not what you are asking for. You seem to want accessories. Even my spiffy (well it's not mine but the office's) Nexus doesn't have "accessories." At least I can charge it off any old USB port.

Collapse -
that's interesting
by CLundO / February 26, 2013 12:31 PM PST

I know that my iconia has updated its android software automatically, but that has not really helped it too much. The accessories are not the big problem for me, it is the idea that this was a lemon... so there is no supply, demand, or support for this tablet. I don't understand how I can try to download certain apps from the android market and it is not compatible with my tablet. This seems strange to me. Also I was able to run flash but when it updated I can no longer watch, use or download flash or an updated flash player...
Just frustrating is all.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: that's interesting
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.