Audio & Video Software

General discussion

why do some CD-Rs play in truck cd player and some don't

by texasbrewhouse / January 26, 2006 10:46 PM PST

Just curious why this is?

A while back i had some Sony CD-Rs i was burning music onto and some would play in my truck CD player, then some wouldn't.

So i switched to Memorex, burned a bunch of CDs and they played fine in my truck.

Ran out of those, bought some more Memorex, i'm pretty sure it was the EXACT same ones, and just like before, some play some don't. What the hell?

By the way, i use Nero for burning.

Thanks for the help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why do some CD-Rs play in truck cd player and some don't
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why do some CD-Rs play in truck cd player and some don't
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is noted in the CDR FAQ.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 12:47 AM PST
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ notes this issue.

I found some improvement by recording at 1 or 2X and changing media brands. There is no known cure short of changing the player.

Bob
Collapse -
Use Nero Info tool
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 4:56 AM PST
Collapse -
CD-Rs Vs CD Player
by spike2k5 / February 2, 2006 6:15 PM PST

Been there done that: I went through different brands of CD-Rs and recorded at different speeds... it was wasting alot of discs and my time....
I found that only good quality discs/slow burns worked in my car CD Player.. That was until I put a disc cleaner through my player (several times) and now it will play everything and anything.

Worth a try......

Spike2k5

Collapse -
Copy protected CDs?
by pearl298 / February 2, 2006 10:41 PM PST

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry with the standard Toyota Radio/CD player.

The owner's manual warns against trying to play ''copy protected'' CDs in it!

I do know that I have had trouble playing sevral of my colection that turned out to have some form of sneaky ''copy protect''.

I have also had trouble with CR-Rs that had some sort of ''DRM'' built in.

Interstingly prated CD-Rs work just fine with good quality media!

It is too bad that the manufacturers aren't forced to own up to their nasty schemes on the box lable!

Collapse -
Using nero
by jc1234 / February 2, 2006 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: Copy protected CDs?

have you converted it to wav or use nero 6 which is a great buring tool, as it can make audio cd which play in all cd players and when you add it , it can normalize all the tracks, so there play at the same volume as song sound files might be diffrent volume, it also give you the optoin of having pause or or not bewteen music or more options.

Collapse -
Another possibility--Use the "Random" play setting
by rholley13 / February 2, 2006 11:26 PM PST

I've found that some CD's will play correctly if I use the ''random'' setting instead of playing the tracks in sequential order. I don't know why this works, but it does. I confess to using cheap blank CD's, but I burn them at slow speeds to increase potential accuracy.

Collapse -
ITS ALL ABOUT THE PLAYER - MOST OF THE TIME
by doctoryes / February 3, 2006 1:44 AM PST

I used to be a engineer for CDR/W software for many years when CDR/W technology was developed. Here's the scoop. Most CD player manufactures use firmware writers right out of college to save money. Seasoned firmware writers ask for too much gold and move on. The learning curve for working firmware code is 6 months and mature code about 2 years.
The problem is time to market, so many players are shipped using firmware the has trouble reading unfamilar formats or if a bit is switched because of dirt, it doesn't know what to do.(bad error correction algorithm). CD players that has been around for a while have these bugs and features fixed. Buy from a mature model from brand name supplier and keep it clean. The previous post about cleaning the player was good advice. Usually, if you pay little more, you'll get what you expect.

Collapse -
Clean the electronic eye....it works
by makgroom / August 3, 2008 3:57 AM PDT

I hope this helps but out of desperation I cleaned the electronic eye with a bit of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth, wiped it dry gently and voila!! Every single CD which would not play before is playing.
I guess sometimes something simple does it.

Collapse -
MP3 vs other formats
by TimmyCB / February 3, 2006 2:05 AM PST

Some incompatability has to do with file types. Many CD players will not play MP3 format data - regardless of their age. My car is a 2005 model, I don't know who makes the CD player but I am assuming it is fairly new. It plays CD/R WMF format files just fine but won't do a thing with MP3s - same media type and recorded on the same CD/R drive. If you are converting to MP3, try leaving the file in WAV or WMF format - might make a difference.

Collapse -
CD-R's playing in Truck and some don't
by texasrowe / February 3, 2006 6:40 AM PST

Depends on if they were converted to wma or MP3's or whatever. sometimes I find they convert without asking and sometimes I forget to change them.

Collapse -
I agree on the MP3 vs WMA format....
by jparkhill / February 3, 2006 11:06 AM PST

Some players won't play MP3 at all, we all know that.

My experience with ROXIO EAsy CD Creator suggested you transfer MP3 files to RAM memory, then burn the final disk from there. That always worked for me. Audio is different than data recordings.

Also, let's not forget our default record settings that says Finalize the Disk or Leave it Open (for adding recording later...) If the disk is not Closed or Finalized, it probably will give you trouble in some players.

Everyone forgets to clean the player! There's some good advice in this thread today...

Jan

Collapse -
What No One is mentioning...
by bigpoppa--2008 / February 3, 2006 7:16 AM PST

Well, 2 things. One was mentioned, ALWAYS burn at a slower speed. The older wise ones told me never never never burn faster than 8X but also you can burn too slow so 1x is not always advisable.

But you MUST burn your CDRs in DAO (Disc At Once) mode and finalize the disc. Do not burn it in TAO (track at once) mode...this is where most people make that mistake.

I am a DJ and depend on quality burns for my CD players. I use all kinds of cheap media and have never had a single problem unless I forget to check which mode I am burning in. I have CDs that work in my professional equipment as well as my car and my computer.

Collapse -
It could be the hardware, maybe
by BuddS / February 4, 2006 2:31 AM PST

My car stereo is also a changer and NAV system. I recorded a CD, combining a two disc set into one, maxing the time to 79 min. It didn't play in the car. A few month later, a paper label in the CD changer prompted a replacement of the entire unit. Guess what, the CD played in the new unit. My silly, wild guess is that the new unit, which was identical in every way I could see, probably had a new version of firmware.

I could see how different dyes and manufacturing techniques could make a CD-R unlpayable in some devices, but theoritically, if the dics carries the Compact Disc logo, then it meets the same specs the hardware is using. Therefore, I would guess that the problem is 60% hardware, 40% disc related.

Collapse -
re:why do some CD-Rs play in truck cd player and some don't
by mira_mirense / February 4, 2006 6:16 AM PST

A few years back I came up with the same problem! The fix was to make sure that audio CD was never created over 6X to 8X speed and every CD after that worked great.

Collapse -
CD-Rs
by CRCoffin88Redo / June 18, 2012 2:49 PM PDT

There's no way to play CD-Rs in any radio. A CD must be finalized to be played. Once it's finalized, it's no longer a CD-R. Now it's a CD-ROM. That means nothing on it can be changed. It still may say CD-R on the label, but it's really a CD-ROM. By the way, ROM means Read Only Memory.

Collapse -
Reset your window media player to audio CD as a default.
by cheerfulhelper / December 19, 2012 6:38 PM PST

I experiences similar problem with my 2000 mazda mpv. I did some research by slotting in those CDs that do and do not play in my van into the computer and found out that they play in different mode. The CDs that play well in my van played automatically on my computer while those that don't play required an action to play in a dialogue box. I found that those cds that didn't play were burned incorrectly on a data cd/dvd mode as default on my computer. So, when I reset my WMP to audio CD default and burn the cds again they all play perfectly in my van.

I hope this will help.

Collapse -
Re: setting audio CD as default
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 6:43 PM PST

Since the OP said he used Nero to burn his CD's, the details of your advice seem wrong. In general terms it's OK, of course: check that you burned an audio CD, not a data CD.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.