Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Why do my images not load correctly in IE?

by Greg874 / February 1, 2013 4:59 AM PST

Hello, I'm working on an image scroll on this website: http://www.portal.beta.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/dep_home/5968 in my agency's staging environment. The problem is that the images load fine in Firefox and Chrome, but in IE (7&8) sometimes when the page first loads one image gets hidden beneath another, especially after clicking on the arrow to bring up the next group of images. After I refresh the page, they appear as they should. Any advice?

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do my images not load correctly in IE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do my images not load correctly in IE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
May need IE's Compatibility Mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 5:06 AM PST

Did you try that?

Collapse -
IE's Compatibilty Mode
by Greg874 / February 4, 2013 4:01 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestion. Compatibility mode was turned on by default in my workplace so I had been viewing the page with it turned on. I was hoping that the images would display properly with it turned off but that's not the case unfortunately.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Then back to the code.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: IE's Compatibilty Mode

Look up the W3C HTML VALIDATION site and check the web page for errors.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Then back to the code
by Greg874 / February 5, 2013 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Then back to the code.

Thanks for the reply. Here is some background information that perhaps I should have included in my initial post. Our website was built using Oracle WebCenter Interaction so I only have control over a small amount of the code. Also, I didn't write this code myself, it's from another state agency's website used with their permission.

Last week I ran the source code for the page (all 25,000+ lines of it) through the W3C Validation tool. It showed 143 errors and 33 warnings but as I stated above I don't have control over most of it. I did check the code I have control over and fixed the errors that were found, however this didn't correct the IE image problem.

Any thoughts on preloading the images to solve the problem? Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Let's be honest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 11:40 PM PST

If other browsers are fine then you know where the issue is. It's IE. It's rather odd to see such a tool not do well but that tool is very expensive and does have support. In our office we would skip IE and tell them to use another browser.

As to your question, try it. Sad to read that nothing can be done with the code.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Let's be honest
by Greg874 / February 7, 2013 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Let's be honest.

I wish I could tell the users to use Firefox, Chrome or any browser that's not IE but this is for a public website so unfortunately that's not an option.

My first attempts at pre-loading the images haven't helped but I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

Collapse -
The tool has support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Let's be honest

And I can't guess why you are not calling Oracle to ask why their tool is creating bad code.

Why can't you edit the HTML? I've done so for years to correct bad code from web page creation software.
Bob

Collapse -
Why do my images not load correctly in IE?
by Greg874 / March 7, 2013 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: The tool has support.

A change to the CSS seems to have solved the problem. The images are list items set to float left. Since it was always the last item in the list that would get hidden, I used clear right for the last item, this seems to have stopped the image overlap issue in IE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.