Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why do my icons keep changing?

by zeebell / April 19, 2004 4:42 AM PDT

Gateway Select 400 PC; Windows 98SE; 160MB RAM; IE 6 SP1

My icons keep changing on 1 .doc file ? not necessarily the same file either, just a .doc file.

I made a post re: this matter in Virus Alerts and Marianna posted back saying she?d had this happen too and had no clue.

This started the end of last week after I?d downloaded updates to AVG and Ad-aware. The icon for a .doc file changes. The first time it happened it showed a yellow file folder with what appeared to look like a sundial. After about 90 minutes it changed back to the normal icon.

The next day it happened again to a .doc file, but this time changed to the AVG icon. Since that time, it seems like at some point, the icon for a .doc file changes to the AVG icon for awhile then changes back.

Only things I?ve downloaded are the latest security patch from Windows Update, and Ad-aware and AVG updates. I?ve run a virus scan, Spybot, and Ad-aware and come up clean every time.

What is going on and do I need to be concerned about this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do my icons keep changing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do my icons keep changing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Why do my icons keep changing?
by Tufenuf / April 19, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

zeebell, Follow the instructions at the link below to correct your icon problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q132/6/68.asp&NoWebContent=1

If you need to delete the ShellIconCache file (it has no extension) which is a hidden file go into Folder Options and under the View tab set it to show hidden files. Then do a search for files and folders and type in "ShellIconCache" (without the quotes) and click OK. When you find that file just right click it and choose "Delete" and restart your computer. Windows will rebuild that file during the restart.

HTH,
Larry

Collapse -
Re:Re:Why do my icons keep changing?
by zeebell / April 19, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

Thanks Larry -- I'll check this out and let you know back.

Julea

Collapse -
Re:Re:Why do my icons keep changing?
by zeebell / April 19, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

Hi Larry -- ok, I printed out the MKBA 132668 and will put in my archives.

Under the Resolution paragraph of the article, I followed the first 3 steps and it did change it back to the normal icon. I don't know that it will stay, but I sure hope so because I'm not sure I want to mess around with the registry. I get pretty nervous when the word "registry" pops up for me to do something in.

I'll try this for a bit and see if it holds. If not, I have these instructions. What would happen if I just let it go and it would keep changing every now and then and revert back? Is that a bad thing?

Thanks -- Julea

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Why do my icons keep changing?
by Tufenuf / April 19, 2004 7:52 AM PDT

Julea, " What would happen if I just let it go and it would keep changing every now and then and revert back? Is that a bad thing"?

It's not a bad thing and won't hurt anything. The icon problem you had is fairly common and is nothing to worry about.

HTH,
Larry

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Why do my icons keep changing?
by zeebell / April 19, 2004 3:47 PM PDT

Hugs to you Larry (LOL)! I'm relieved I don't have to go into the Registry. Believe it or not, I'd love to take a course on just working in the Registry but probably won't get that done. I've suggested to our local PC club President that maybe we have something on this and he says I'm further along than many members and it would present a catastrophe in Bella Vista if we had such a course. I've been helping teach basic PC for Windows 98 and XP; Internet; and Email, but guess we won't be getting into the "fun stuff."

I have some Registry tutorials I've printed off the web and maybe someday I'll get brave and try, but not yet. Pc'in doesn't intimidate me like it used to; however, the Registry still does! I've looked around and made 1 change -- that's enuf for now!

I appreciate your help on this icon thing and have kept all info for future reference. BTW -- no icon changes since taking the 3 steps that I did.

Thanks again -- Julea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.