Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

Why do I only get the audio when I play video files?

by PastryMan / March 4, 2013 6:29 AM PST

I only receive the audio portions when I play video files. The video is blank/black. This is happening with mpg., avchd and to the videos posted to websites; youtube, facebook etc. The only video files I can play are windows media files. Windows media PLAYER won't play the other video files? I have the latest updates for my video card and adobe flash player. Any info would be much appreciated, thanks. David

Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

PastryMan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do I only get the audio when I play video files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do I only get the audio when I play video files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by PastryMan

Collapse -
Sounds correct. But why is this correct?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 7:22 AM PST

Because of copyright and more issues, Windows only comes with so many "decoders."

Try VLC PLAYER and see if the file plays.

About YouTube and Facebook. Try the CHROME browser.
Bob

Collapse -
But Why Then....
by PastryMan / March 4, 2013 9:26 AM PST

But, why then did YouTube, Facebook and my own video files work just fine a few days ago? I downloaded and installed K-Lite codecs and player. If I use the new Player my own video-camera files play properly (but not with Win Media Player). However, internet videos still play audio only; whether using Firefox or Internet Explorer. I'm thinking of doing a restore...as much as I hate that option.

Collapse -
Could be too many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: But Why Then....

Remember I only have your story you posted at the top. And since those codec packages often harbor pests who knows what was in there.

Sorry but given how often Windows Media Player (WMP) gives us trouble, why not use what works?

The Firefox/IE issue sounds like the old FLASH problem. Try the Chrome browser as a test.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by PastryMan / March 5, 2013 9:30 AM PST

I did a restore and the problem is gone:). I think it was a new version of Avast anti virus, Firefox (19), or Adobe AIR or FLASH; that was the culprit.

Collapse -
Answer
Figured it out
by camposte / June 5, 2013 1:43 PM PDT

I uninstalled Adobe Air and Flash then reinstalled Flash with the current version and viola! Everything work now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.