Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why do I need to make a backup recovery disc?

by jericat / July 8, 2010 3:19 AM PDT

Why do I need to make a backup recovery disc and under what circumstances would I use it? My new Windows 7 laptop keeps asking me to make one, but do I need a cd-r or a dvd-r to do this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do I need to make a backup recovery disc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do I need to make a backup recovery disc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you do not make the recovery disk set ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 8, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

tell us how you plan to recover the computer to a working machine should the OS become corrupted or the hard drive dies?

They are called Backup and/or Recovery disks because that is their purpose in life.

Collapse -
Use DVD
by mopscare42 / July 8, 2010 5:07 AM PDT

Either + or -, they both work.
Most computers will take at least 2 DVDs If you use CDs it would take quit a few of them.
It is very easy and well worth the little time it takes to make them.
You will be patting yourself on the back if your OS ever dies or gets corrupt.

Collapse -
OK How do I make this back up disc and how often...
by fragglesnap / July 9, 2010 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Use DVD

How do I make this back up disc. I add photos almost daily and have no idea how to make this disc. I am using windows 7 on a custom built computer with a built in DVD and CD burner.

HELP...?

Doc

Collapse -
I think...
by Papa Echo / July 9, 2010 10:13 AM PDT

...that you have somehow misunderstood. The discks refered to are "system Recovery" disks, i.e. a "backup" of the operating system [Windows]. Your photos and other personal files are not included in there... You need only create these discs one, preferably just before you use the computer for the first time. Howe, you are at liberty to make more than one set.

Collapse -
so...
by fragglesnap / July 9, 2010 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I think...

So where do I get them and how do I download everything on them?

Collapse -
recovery discs
by madkono / July 9, 2010 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: so...

my last 2 comp. were hp, and i called them, to obtain recovery discs. not expensive, and worth it. also, next time, it asks to make discs, follow instructions.

Collapse -
How to get them....
by Papa Echo / July 9, 2010 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: so...

Depends on the manufacturer....most have the files at a hidden partition on the HD, whereby if you need to reinstall the OS, you just provide the command or ran a program. There should be printed instructions/documents which come with the computer - sometimes, just a small insignificant piece of paper.... You are also advised to create the Recovery discs, usually 2 or 3 DVDs and the drivers discs for use when your HD goes kaput....[sometimes, a pop up window prompts you ...] The discs can also be obtained from the maufacturer, for which proof of ownership is required[name, srieal number, etc.], and for a small fee...

Collapse -
Unless your machine came with recovery discs you should
by lakephillip / July 9, 2010 12:11 PM PDT

Most store bought computers do not come with recovery discs except Dell & Gateway/Emachines/Acer. Hp does not. Sony does not.
But they come with a application built into the OS to make one copy of backups. Use good quality DVDs not CD's otherwise you'll probably be using 10cd's. The app usually gives you the choice however. HP is the best to order rather inexpensive backup discs but, they aren't model specific. They are grouped together in a model Series. IE....DV6714 nr; the discs sent are the same for the whole DV6700 Series. Burning these disc will be well spent money should you have to do a format and recovery of you HDD, you'll be glad you did.

Collapse -
Thank You ...Now...
by fragglesnap / July 9, 2010 12:50 PM PDT

Thank You for that information...My computer was custom made and I still have no idea how to make a back up disc. It came with one for Windows 7 Premium but nothing more. I take a LOT of photos and need to Photoshop many of them for color and cropping and I needed a faster one than my old HP with Windows XP.

This is a great computer but I had never heard about a back up disc until this evening.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Everynow and then I get a statement down in the right hand corner telling me it is backing up what is on here but....Is that what we are talking about?

Doc

Collapse -
Different for Custom Made Computers
by lakephillip / July 9, 2010 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank You ...Now...

When a custom made computer loads an operating system It loads just that. No additional programs or apps. With Windows Xp & Vista most of the time the drivers for the system usually are loaded with the BIOS and if not are usually accessible on the Original Motherboard Driver Disc. With Windows 7 especially so far into this newest OS, most drivers are downloaded and installed automatically. But these computers don't have the integrated recovery programs usually written by a third party.
But with Windows 7 you do have the option of making a backup image.
So that if you do crash you can come back quite easily.
Also Acronis has a Clone And Backup program that come with the newer Hdd and SSD drives, as a software solution to backing up you OS.

The biggest difference is with the OS Image everything is installed again back to where you were when you backed it up. With Mass produced systems, system recovery discs you usually get the OS And Drivers, and Apps{MS Works}sometimes depending on the computer manufacturer you have to install drivers and apps manually. Sometimes as with Sony computers it installs all Drivers and apps, and returns your machine to a virgin state, then you must re-install your programs and apps.

Collapse -
Back up Windows 7
by jrap30 / July 14, 2010 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You ...Now...

You are not listening and people are not explaining correctly. Windows 7 has a backup and restore program. Click on the icon in right hand corner or search Windows 7 backup and restore in the search box.....double click on it and open the program.......put in your DVD and step through the program...it will create it for you. You do not need to know anything excerpt how to find the program on your hard drive. Either the reminder in your lower right hand corner of the screen or as stated type it in Windows search......

Collapse -
I haven't had any success with Win7 B&R.
by lakephillip / November 6, 2010 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Back up Windows 7

I haven't had any success with Win7 B & R. If it worked for me, I might have used it.
Acronis works (so far) 100% of all my backups. I would have prefered to use the Windows B & R because it was free. But I would rather have a program that works all the time.

Collapse -
Discs, Virus, and so many additional steps needed, HELP!
by 26480781243799471739720086072881 / June 28, 2015 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Back up Windows 7

This is an older post, but you seem to be the only one with precise answers..I too having problems with discs. I got a virus and was told to do this and that and get a new disc to clean system, or reinstall programs..I don't know what that means, do I need a disc, or today age of electronics, i find it funny that I have so many manual things I have to do. More work than pleasure at times. Any advice. One is Compaq Presario CQ56, window 7 older, one is Toshiba Satellite L645D and all I wanted was to reinstall virus protection. It turned into a nightmare, problems, they added more security on computer and now they just stop, and I am afraid they are vulnerable.
Thanx,

Collapse -
Please create a new top post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2015 2:52 PM PDT

Here it's buried. No one may notice or answer.

And be sure to put questions in your posts. Example:

Is there cheese in my omelet?

Note: Moderator corrected title.

Collapse -
ABSOLUTELY MAKE A SET OF RECOVERY DISKS!
by mkrock / July 9, 2010 4:02 PM PDT

You need to make a set of recovery disks in case anything happens to your computer and it's functioning badly or not at all, and you also need to start backing up anything like photos, music, and videos SEPARATLY from the recovery disks. The recovery disks are normally made once and then put somewhere safe. Use DVD's, you'll need at least 2. Your photo's, music, etc. are backed up separatly and are not included in the recovery disks, and they should be backed up either onto DVD's, CD's, or a portable flash drive as needed. I back up my photos and music every 2 weeks onto a portable flash drive, and to be safe I also back them up to DVD's every 6 months. Below are terms from my HP's help section. Keep in mind that if your computer ever does screw up and you need to use the recovery disks you made, then after using the recovery disks, you will need to reset all or any settings changes you made and you will also need to re-download any programs that did not come on your pc, and you will also need to re-download all of your music, photos, etc that should be backed up on separate disks or flash drives.

Recovery - The procedure for recovering your computer's factory installed operating system, software programs, and hardware drivers.
These discs are required to reinstall the operating system and any factory-installed programs if there is ever a problem with your hard disk drive. If you create your own set of discs, you do not have to order, purchase, and wait for a set of recovery discs to be delivered.

Recovery discs - Recovery discs are copies of the recovery information located on the Recovery hard disk drive. Recovery discs are created by the user and are used in the event the hard disk drive is not functioning properly.

How does a System Recovery work?
The computer operating system, all software programs, and hardware drivers are deleted. The original factory-shipped operating system, software programs, and hardware drivers are reinstalled.(in other words.. if you ever have to use the recovery disks, it would be as if you just brought your computer home brand new from the store..only that information will be on the computer, and all other stuff you've put on it will be gone unless you have backed it up onto separate disks or a flash drive.)

Your computer's hard disk drive contains a partition of space dedicated to recovery called the Recovery hard disk drive. This partition contains a System Recovery image that includes all the operating system and software programs, and hardware drivers that were originally installed on your computer at the factory.

What happens to my personal files during a System Recovery?
All personal files are deleted. If you would like to save these files for later use you need to back up your files while your hard disk drive is still functioning properly. (this is referring to how you need to put your photos, music, other progragms you downloaded, etc., back onto your computer by using the disks you saved this info to.)

When would I perform a System Recovery?
Perform a System Recovery when factory-installed software, drivers, or the operating system experience failures or loss. Performing a System Recovery is a last resort for fixing your software problems. Some reasons you might decide to do a System Recovery include:

Windows 7 operating system files accidentally were moved, deleted, or corrupted, and your computer is not responding properly.

Your computer has a virus (or other malicious software) that cannot be removed by antivirus software.

Your hard disk drive is damaged, blank, or not responding. In this case you must use a set of recovery discs.

I have an HP Vista computer, so this is how I would make a set of recovery disks... not sure if it is the same for Windows 7 or not.

How do I create recovery discs?
To create recovery discs use the Recovery Disc Creator program in the Recovery Manager. You create a set of recovery discs that can be used in the event your hard disk drive is not functioning properly. (see if you have this on your computer... to do so, click on the start button, then type in recovery disk creator.. see if that program shows up, if it does, click on it...if not, then click on start and type in recovery manager and see if that program shows up)

What is a USB flash drive?

A universal serial bus (USB) flash drive is a small, portable device that plugs into a computer's USB port. Like a hard disk, a USB flash drive stores information, but with a flash drive you can easily transfer that information from one computer to another. USB flash drives vary in size and shape and can hold gigabytes of information. USB flash drives are also called pen drives, thumb drives, key chain drives, key drives, and memory keys.

Sorry this is so long. Let us know if you get your recovery disks made and if you also back up your photos separately, and if you run into any problems with either of the 2 different types of back ups. Now go buy some DVD's and maybe a USB flash drive so your ready to download all of your computer's info.

Collapse -
one more vote for "absolutely!"
by porsche10x / July 13, 2010 1:51 AM PDT

Many computers come with a hidden partition that already has complete recovery information (sometimes even including the apps, good or bad, that were preinstalled) , but still, you should absolutely make recovery disks. If your hard drive fails, you won't be able to access the recovery parttion. Also, depending on just what you mean by "custom built", you might not have such a hidden partition.

Collapse -
Why Do I need a backup recovery disk
by hardialsinghdhanota / November 6, 2010 1:39 AM PDT

It Willwork like restore option if you have used earlier.

Collapse -
I often ask that same question myself,
by Oldartq / June 28, 2015 8:44 PM PDT

does it really do any good. Anyway you will need a dvd disc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.