Networking & Wireless

Question

Why do I get a slow connection speed on Vizio TV and PS3?

by PopaNewGuineaPig / December 8, 2013 4:06 AM PST

Hello!

I am completely stumped and can't find any solutions online.

I have 20mbps TimeWarner Cable internet, a Motorola Surfboard extreme cable modem SB6141 and a TRENDne tAC1750 Dual Band Wireless Router.

<div>When I use http://www.speedtest.net/ on my pc I get 20mbps download speeds. This is wireless and through the router. Here are my results:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3152800089
</div>

However, my Vizio M651D-A2R TV and PS3 both experience limited internet speeds... youtube has to rebuffer and I cant stream netflix 3d content because my "connection is too slow".

I have plugged my TV and PS3 directly into the cable modem... there is still no impact on download speed. So it is not the router.

I tried using my computer as a proxy like this: http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=34192

That did not seem to have an impact on speed.

I am out of options. Besides a the vizio tv and ps3 having some sort of bandwidth limit, I dont know what it could be.

Either net port specs for both devices

The ps3 specs:Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

I cant find any stats on the ethernet on my tv, but another m series has 1 Rear (10/100 Base TX) ethernet connection:http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M550SV-C.../dp/B004U5T2XW

Please help me. You are my only hope.

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do I get a slow connection speed on Vizio TV and PS3?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do I get a slow connection speed on Vizio TV and PS3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not much hope.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2013 4:44 AM PST

I always see the smart TV and game console to get lower speed scores than a laptop. Why I write not much hope is that I've seen folk new to this never catch on why it's slower no matter how many replies they get.

There's the WiFi issue too but how to get folk to pull routers out of basements or move the router closer? And get wired when need be?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
The big clue is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2013 4:45 AM PST

The direct connection to the router. This means that nothing we cover here will fix it. This is strictly a discussion you have to take up with the ISP.
Bob

Collapse -
no router being used - all devices 2 feed from wall
by PopaNewGuineaPig / December 8, 2013 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: The big clue is

Bob,
I tested these devices by connecting them directly to the cable modem itself via ethernet cable... one at a time. No router is involved and a wireless signal is not an issue.

All devices are located within 3 feet of each other... and just 3 feet or so from the coaxial cable that is plugged into the modem.

The router is not the issue.

No one has said to look to the ISP for a solution. I will contact time warner.

Thanks!!!

Collapse -
That's a slim clue but I'll use it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2013 7:42 AM PST

1. Unless you are paying for multiple IP addresses there is a router somewhere.

2. "feed from wall"
Now that sets off alarm bells. I've lost count of "expert" electricians that pull out shotguns and rope when you discuss Ethernet wiring pairs. But we wait for them to leave then we check wire pairs. Rather than give up what these pairs are, I'm going to ask you what pairs they used?
Bob

Collapse -
coaxial cable from wall delivers internet
by PopaNewGuineaPig / December 14, 2013 9:37 AM PST

I have standard road runner internet. However, I personally dont have a router in the house and the cable modem I purchased does not act as a router.

The internet comes in via coaxial cable and I have that cable plugged in directly into my cable modem.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Let's hear what cable modem model is used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2013 10:11 AM PST

Since you have no router (your claim) then it would be only good for one device at a time and it would be tedious to power down the cable modem when we need to connect the next device.

Didn't the folk installing this offer advice?
Bob

Collapse -
I bought both the modem and router myself
by PopaNewGuineaPig / December 21, 2013 7:07 AM PST

I bought the modem and router myself. That claim is true.

"I have 20mbps TimeWarner Cable internet, a Motorola Surfboard extreme cable modem SB6141 and a TRENDne tAC1750 Dual Band Wireless Router."

I own the router, but tested the devices individually:

"I have plugged my TV and PS3 directly into the cable modem... there is still no impact on download speed. So it is not the router."

"I tried using my computer as a proxy like this: http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=34192

That did not seem to have an impact on speed."

What would a "good pc" have anything to do with internet connection speed? The speed is about the ethernet adapter/card.

My TV and PS3 should not need to rebuffer when displaying youtube and netflix videos.

Collapse -
Have a Vizio smart TV
by mopscare42 / December 22, 2013 11:41 AM PST

Am am using the same 6141 modem and don't have any problems at all. I am going wireless with the TV about 35 feet from the router and with your setup you should be able to do the same thing.
It almost sounds like you have a faulty LAN port on that modem, but you say you get good speeds on speedtest.net from your computer so that rules that out.
Have you called Vizio tech support about the issue? I am sure they deal with things like the problem you are having, daily. They can also tell you if the Ethernet port is a 10/100 or 10/100/1000 because I couldn't find that either. I know the wireless is N.
The nice thing about their support is it's in the USA and they all speak English as a first language.

Collapse -
thanks
by PopaNewGuineaPig / December 23, 2013 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Have a Vizio smart TV

Mopscare,
You are using the same modem and tv?

What kind of speeds is your tv returning when you run that connection test?

I have tried both wired and wireless for the tv.

I have also contacted Vizio and they said to hold out until the new firmware update.

I very much appreciate your time and help.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Vizio M501D-A2R
by mopscare42 / December 23, 2013 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

Which is just the smaller version of what you have,
According to Vizio all the M series TVs use the same wireless and Ethernet components.
As for a connection test, I get 4215kb/s which is 5 bars on the wireless at the TV.
I have Comcast for my ISP and am on the blast tier and get around 55Mbps down and 11Mbps up.
I know that faster then your connection, but I have a friend that has the Vizio M5501-A2R TV and is on DSL pulling only around 12 mbps and gets wireless with no buffering so your speed should be OK.
My router is a Netgear R6200 which is a AC router like yours only a different brand.
As I said before I am using the Motorola 6141 modem so sure that's not your problem. Is it possible your router could be defective? If you have a Best Buy store close you could pick up a different brand AC or N router and try that. If that doesn't fix the problem, you have 14 days to take it back.
One other thing you might check, see if IPV6 is enabled on your router. The new update Vizio talked to you about fixes a problem their TVs have with IPV6.
When I have IPV6 enabled on my router, it not only slows my speeds down a little, as strange as it sounds I can't access Netflix on the TV, once I turn off IPV6, I have no problem. That's another thing the update will fix.
Sorry about this being a long reply, just wanted to cover what could be the problem and my experience with the TV.
Good luck and hope you get the problem figured out as the Smart TV feature is great.
Also, Happy Holidays to you!

Collapse -
upgraded to 30mbps download... still an issue
by PopaNewGuineaPig / January 11, 2014 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio M501D-A2R

Mopscare42,
I hope the holidays treated you well.

I upgraded to 30mbps download speed and I still only get around 10mbps according to the video connection test.... but I am also getting a notice from netflix that my connection is too slow for the 3d content and I have hd youtube videos rebuffering.

I am thinking I might buy another modem to see if that may be the issue.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Thank you.
by mopscare42 / January 12, 2014 9:54 AM PST

Yes, the holidays were great.
I really doesn't sound like a modem issue. I would think try a different router just to test. as I said before try it and if it doesn't fix the problem, take it back.
I am not familiar at all with the TRENDNE router so don't know what suggest other than that.
How far away from the TV is your router? That shouldn't really make a difference since you said you tried it wired.
30 mbps is more than enough speed for Netflix, 3D or otherwise.
My Granddaughter was having a similar problem with Netflix and a Linksys router. I gave her a Netgear duel band router I had, set it up and she hasn't had any problem since.
Good luck with this. I know how frustrating it can be when you buy something new that should work but doesn't.

Collapse -
PS. If you perform SPEED TESTS on say a PS3
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2013 10:12 AM PST

You won't get a good result. It will not be at the same speed as say a good PC.

Collapse -
Answer
Vizio tech response
by planoguy12 / January 19, 2014 8:22 AM PST

According to Vizio the TV will never show the true internet speed. We have the same problem and can not get a clear answer from anyone. This is NOT an internet/ISP issue. It is the damn TV. We are running FIOS at 50/25Mbps. The router is 801.11b/g/n and the TV, yet the TV never get higher than 11Mbps. We still have buffering issues and plain old connect problems through the TV. I think it's time for a reliable TV known to work proficiently through all networks.

Collapse -
???
by mopscare42 / January 19, 2014 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio tech response

Sorry you are having those problems and don't have a clue what the problem could be.
My router is right at 35 feet from my Visio TV and have no problem at all.
Never any buffering except at times when I am streaming a 3D, which is very little.
I also have a wireless Sony Blu-Ray player and get pretty much the same results with it.
I am on Comcast 50/10

Collapse -
???
by planoguy12 / January 19, 2014 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: ???

Mopscare42, We are even closer with our router. Probably 25 ft max. I can't imagine what the issue really is, but we've got open tickets with Visio, Hulu, Verizon to try and figure it out.

Collapse -
Visio
by mopscare42 / January 20, 2014 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: ???

Is working on a firmware update that has to do with the wireless, so maybe it will take care of the problems you are having.
I had a weird problem that if IPV6 was set to auto detect in my router, I could not get Netflix and the other streaming was iffy. I Set the IPV6 to disable and the everything started working fine. You might check the IPV6 settings in your router. Visio engineering gave me that information.
Visio does know they have some problems and are working on it. That was 4 months ago when I talked to them, so guess they are in no big hurry.
Good luck with it as it is a great feature once it's working right.

Collapse -
Visio m-series
by Fog80 / February 21, 2014 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Visio

I was having the same problem today and I spoke to Vizio tech support. They told me the network card in the TV is only 100 Mbps. This means we will never get more than 10 to 12 Mb per second through the TV

Collapse -
Only 2.4 Ghz also
by mopscare42 / February 22, 2014 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Visio m-series

I think most smart TVs only have the 100 card and not the 10/100/1000 cards in them. That's too bad on the new sets with the technology that's out there. Price wise there is very little difference.
They also only use the 2.4 Ghz band and have no 5.0 Ghz option.
Too bad the sets don't have the USB ports configured so you could use them for wireless adapters.
You can get a AC adapter now for less than $50. Just wishful thinking.

Collapse -
poor download speeds on Vizio E600i-B3
by FrankHell / October 20, 2014 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Visio m-series

I have the same problem with my Vizio E6001-B3 60 inch TV. I pay for 20Mbs internet through Time Warner, and achieve those speeds on my PC. I have a motorola SB61621 cable modem and a top of the line Asus RT-AC68U router. I use cat 5E patch cables throughout the network. I only get 6-7 Mbs on the TV with a wired connection. It's the TV. All my other components are capable of achieving download speeds that far exceed what I'm capped at by the ISP. Vizio put cheap ethernet cards in the TV's, and not one single review of this model mentioned that and the specs of the ethernet cards are never listed on any of the TV's documentation.

Collapse -
Netflix says that's enough
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2014 6:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Try a factory reset
by screener2 / March 31, 2015 7:11 AM PDT

I was having a similar issue with my Vizio E400i-B2. I used the network test utility on the TV and found I was getting speeds around 300 kbps, but a laptop connected to the same wifi network was getting speeds around 13 mbps.

I called Vizio and they suggested a number of things (hardwire, move TV closer to wifi router, etc) but the first suggestion of theirs that I tried was a factory reset which seemed to resolve the issue for me.

Previously the netflix app was buffering every 2-3 minutes, and after the factory reset I was able to watch several TV episodes consecutively without buffering.

Collapse -
Answer
Slower speeds on psi and smart tvs.
by rkbko / April 23, 2015 11:42 AM PDT

PSN: play station network servers limit speeds, they control your Internet speeds to 3-8 mbs.
Same thing happens when you access the Internet with apps server that is controlling your internet speeds to 3-6 mbs.
Smart phones, tablets and your computer's are only limited by particular sites but when running ookla speed test, you avoid these host server limitations.
Everyone I know experiences the same limitations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.