Computer Help

General discussion

Why do I get a "script error" message?

by Sandpebblesfilm / March 18, 2010 6:14 AM PDT

This started yesterday.

I received a personal e-mail from a friend and needed to print it.

I got a "script error" message. Then, the e-mail froze on the screen. I had to "control/alt/delete" to get out.

McAfee recently worked with me to get a trojan out of my computer. All is supposed to be well now.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do I get a "script error" message?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do I get a "script error" message?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Try This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2010 7:40 AM PDT

Download, install, update, then run a full system scan using the free spyware removal tool below.. It will find a number of things that McAfee won't.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

As to the script error, it means that your browser opened the email and you may have script debugging enabled.. If Internet Explorer is your browser, turn off the script debugging by opening IE, then click on "Tools", in the upper left, choose "Internet Options", then click on the "Advanced" tab, then place a CHECK mark in "Disable script debugging".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The "disable script bugging" is checked
by Sandpebblesfilm / March 18, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Try This

Thank you, Grif.

I followed your directions. The "disable script bugging" was already checked.

This problem came out of the blue.

I'm afraid to download anything to my computer in view of the 12 hours I spent with McAfee technicians (7 of them) remotely inside my computer, trying to get it clean and healthy again.

Is there something else that could be causing this script error message to happen - out of the blue?

It's upsetting not to be able to print. And, I'm worried about the screen freezing. Each time, I have to "control/alt/delete"; then, log off; then log back on.

Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
The EXACT Script Error Might Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2010 10:07 AM PDT

But since McAfee doesn't detect all the things that other tools do, it's your choice as to whether you want to check further for malware that McAfee didn't find.

As to 12 hours spent with the techs, it would have been easier and quicker (and probably cheaper) to simply use the Recovery Discs that came with your computer to reinstall the operating system and all programs back to its original factory state. It's your choice though....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.