Storage forum

Question

Why cant i see my flash drive?

by newfiedog95 / December 30, 2011 1:22 PM PST

i was using my flash drive as xbox 360 storage it worked fine the first time then i removed the xbox 360 storage via the xbox but later found out the i needed to get something onto the usb from the xbox so i tried setting up the storage for xbox 360 again but it didnt work so i tried again still nothing so i removed it then put in my computer, the computer saw it as a usb mass storage device and it even got its brand name off it too (rocketfish) but its says it could not install properly and may not work right, i got to my computer and its not even there, i got to disk mangment and its not there, i went to device manger and it says there is a usb mass storage device conected but its giving me a code 10 saying that the device can not start i then tried pluging it back in to my xbox and the xbox acts as thouugh its not even there. i have nothing on it so if it needs to get wiped im fine with that, please help i have spent almost 4 hours trying to fix it Cry if it helps it says that its in power state D3. please any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why cant i see my flash drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why cant i see my flash drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
FD
by pgc3 / December 31, 2011 11:53 AM PST

Have you tried plugging it in to another computer? Typically that is what to try and IF it does read in another system it would tell you that the problem is elsewhere.If on the other hand you get the same error issue it might be time to chuck the FD and get a replacement.

Collapse -
Problem With Flash Drive
by foxmetrics / December 31, 2011 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: FD

One of my friend is facing same problem . Can anyone tell the solution.
Thanks a millions in advance.

Collapse -
Re: solution
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 12:09 AM PST

Same solution as above: Try on another PC.

- If it works there, it's an issue with your USB-port, USB-driver or OS.
- If it doesn't work there either, and can't be partioned/formatted either, it's broken. Time for another one then,

Kees

Collapse -
FD
by newfiedog95 / January 1, 2012 5:24 AM PST

But why dose it show up in device maneger as a mass storage device and is there a way to format it in device maneger?

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / January 3, 2012 12:53 AM PST

You gave no details of even what flashdrive this is. regardless, since you want to format it, then use the HP USB format s/w, which seems to handle most flash drives with no problems. Also, handle the flash drive as it was fragile, ESD damage or poor quality tend to damage easily. make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port as well for best operation. On top of this make sure that Xbox usage doesn't somehow make it unique, so it doesn't work elsewhere as a possible issue.

Collapse -
Xbox format process
by Willy / January 3, 2012 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Look into...

The below link should help in Xbox flash drive usage for Xbox.

Collapse -
Answer
external HD
by clamoreaux / January 15, 2012 4:41 AM PST

Had the same problem reading an external USB HD. Some programs could detect it was there but It did not show up as a disk. Turns out one HD was an older formatting system that Win 7 could not read. The disk showed as unformatted.

Collapse -
Answer
Why cant i see my flash drive?
by om-nanotech / January 23, 2012 8:31 PM PST

Please check with another system if same problem occurs then it must be flash drive's problem and might be its software not working.and If works on another system then your system must have any problem like USB connector or OS..Please check...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.