Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Why can't iTunes find artwork?

by dbennettks / October 12, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

I'd understand that the iTunes store wouldn't have very low sales volume album art, but nothing for the Beatles?? After loading over 100 CDs onto my disc, artwork was only found for about 40 of them. What gives?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why can't iTunes find artwork?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why can't iTunes find artwork?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a primer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2009 7:57 AM PDT

The legal battles of Beatles and Apple computer may have ended but it left a gap that some still can't believe. Do you remember this skirmish?

Collapse -
that's not all
by dbennettks / October 12, 2009 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a primer.

That may be true, but it doesn't explain why it cannot find artwork for any Bob Dylan albums, Frank Zappa, Jimmy Buffet, John Williams... and on and on.

Before getting a Mac a couple of months ago, I had a vanilla Linux system and could find all artwork for any artist.

Collapse -
iTunes Artwork
by GeekOFTech / October 14, 2009 2:32 AM PDT

I agree and have run into the same problem, I'm just anal and I got to and look up the album and save the album artwork to load into iTunes. Kinda crazy I know lol

Collapse -
how do you...
by dbennettks / October 14, 2009 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: iTunes Artwork

...load the artwork into iTunes?

Collapse -
One Possible Answer!!!!!!
by KevinDalton1959 / October 16, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

Why don't you download TuneUP for ITunes, it does everything what you ask for and if you have missing data on title or Artist it will add the missing information. Try the Free one first, then if you like Go too the Purchase one.....
I hope this will answer all those troubles about iTunes....

Collapse -
iTunes and album art
by forkboy1965 / October 17, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

After having gone through much of the same problem, I found a handful of things that made my life easier. However, as you didn't elaborate as to what steps you took, please accept my apologies if I mention anything you have already done/tried.

First, have you tried to force iTunes to find album art? My memory is a bit stretched here, but I believe you can select all the songs once they are burned to your hard drive, right-click and select something like Find Album Art. I often found this route would locate album art when iTunes didn't download it automatically.

As others have mentioned, one can go to sites like Amazon and assuming the music is for sale there you can usually find a jpg of the album art. You can copy this and then paste it to the album art section in iTunes. However, I have found that the jpgs are often only okay in terms of quality. The same is true of when one Googles for images of the album art.

What I finally wound up doing was something more laborious, but with much, much better results. I would scan the album art, open it in Preview, select ("grab") the album cover (from the rest of the blank pdf file), use the image editing features within Preview to make the image look better (the scanner seemed to desaturate the colours), then save said grabbed and edited image as jpg file to the desktop. I would then move it to the music files. Top quality images compared to most anything I ever found on the Internet. This route does take extra time, but if the album art is important to you I cannot recommend this route highly enough.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.