Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Why can't I see files on external drive

by jrs514 / November 14, 2012 2:05 AM PST

Using a 6 year old HP desktop running XP. I had all my documents copied on an external hard drive. Computer crashed and I purchased a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. when I access my external hard drive it shows backed up copies of Quickbooks (which I'm using for a small business), it shows a folder for music (when opened contains all of my music), it shows a folder for my DVDs, when opened contains nothing.

Most importantly it does not show my photos or data files. They were all "copied" to the external hard drive, not backed-up. (The quickbooks were backed-up but the music files were copied, yet both of visible?)

If I run search I can find various files, but it would take forever to copy them individually.

Why can't I see these files as previously displayed in my documents?

jrs514 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why can't I see files on external drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why can't I see files on external drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jrs514

Collapse -
Try another "viewer"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 2:10 AM PST

I'm going to suggest a title you don't see often. It's Gyula's Navigator. Yes, it lacks icons and frills but it does show folders and files even if hidden.

About the crashed computer. We usually can take the HDD out of that and put it into some USB case to get a second chance at redemption.
Bob

Collapse -
: Why can't I see files on external drive
by jrs514 / November 14, 2012 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: Try another "viewer"

Downloaded Gyula and it opened my files. Thanks Bob. You saved my butt again.

Just curious about your other comment -- taking out the HDD, can you explain that in more detail?

Collapse -
The detail is rather short. Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 11:50 PM PST

Converting an old HDD into an USB external is done by pulling it from the failed PC then plugging it into some USB HDD CASE. There are some thousand USB HDD cases available so I never pick one for others.

Sorry, it's kind of a simple thing to do today.

Glad to read your Gyula's Navigator success story. I think you see why it's not popular. No icons, frills. A "go to work" app.
bob

Collapse -
Thanks Again
by jrs514 / November 15, 2012 7:41 AM PST

I'll look into the USB HDD case. Love exploring new things. Usually end up here on the forums though. LOL

Collapse -
Try another viewer
by teraann / September 30, 2013 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Try another "viewer"

Bob - I have been searching the net for a solution to my current problem which is similiar to the previous thread that I have replied to from last year. I have a Toshiba external hard drive and also have the NTI Backup Now EZ. My hard drive also died so when I went to try to restore from my Toshiba, I also had to reinstall the software from NTI Backup. It will not allow me to install the most recent Toshiba software because it cannot detect my autoplay which is frustrating. I have been able to pull up the restore and view my files, however. Now...when I backed up to the external I backed up my entire C drive...everything. Why in the heck can I NOT see my Quickbooks files, those are the most important ones I need. I noticed you suggested Gyula Navigator in the previous situation. When I look that up, it doesn't seem to work with Windows 7, which is what I have for an operating system. Any suggestions for me?
Tera

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Try another viewer

This is an entirely different issue. However.

1. Autoplay is dead. It was abused by the bad people and if some drive needs to autorun then we have to learn how to navigate to said drive and run something.

2. Those backup titles. I have a very bad opinion of almost all of them since they backup into proprietary storage (files, folders or such) and I can't help you recover from such except to point you to NTI or the other company or in severe cases -> http://www.drivesavers.com

3. This is not backup. It's a discussion we have a lot. Backup is not one copy on the external but many on many devices.

-> Sorry about the Gyula but are you reporting it does not work as it works fine here. Once in a while someone will comment that Windows 7 isn't listed but for reasons they sometimes don't tell they didn't try it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.