Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why Can't I right click my Desktop Icons???????????????

by NRecob / July 2, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

I have a Windows XP right click problem that's driving me insane--I right click any icon on my desktop (not limited to just my
Desktop, but it's where I first noticed this problem) and I get this Windows Explorer error message that states Windows Explorer has "encountered a problem and needs to close" (Error Signature below) --I have no choice but to hit the "Close" button--then when I do this, my desktop goes blank (black)for a second and then comes back (almost like it going to reboot but doesn't). What's really weird though is that if I right click just the background of my desktop (not pointing to any particular icon) the right click appears to function properly... Again, I don't have to be on my desktop for this right click problem to occur....

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm to the point I want to tear my hair out (didn't I already say that? Yes, I did--see this is driving me nuts!) I can't delete anything from my desk top, I can't right click on any object to find out "Properties" etc etc etc

I've already checked for things like the Sasser virus...

Any help would be greatly appreciated I've put up with this for too long already. Well, gotta run for now.....

-Nik
Atlanta
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Windows Explorer error message reads:

Windows Explorer

Error Signature

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1221 ModName: cnvshell.dll
ModVer: 6.3.5.0 Offset: 00004d60

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why Can't I right click my Desktop Icons???????????????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why Can't I right click my Desktop Icons???????????????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Why Can't I right click my Desktop Icons???????????????
by heynow / July 2, 2004 12:52 PM PDT

ModName: cnvshell.dll
Sounds like cnvshell.dll is corrupt.
Hmmm..
Your screen goes blank because explorer.exe controls and displays your desktop items, startbar, file explorer, etc... so when it terminates everything disapears except your background image.
idk if you can replace cnvshell.dll because explorer needs it to run or maybe it doesnt and just uses it for right-clicks. I know cnvshell is in %homedrive%\windows\system32 and so is explorer.exe.
I would try replacing it with one from the dll website(search google for cnvshell.dll) and if that doesnt work, backup, and start over with a fresh install. Also make two partitions when you install
1.2gigs, install windows on this one.
2.rest of drive, apps and other files.
so just incase something like this happens again you can reinstall xp on the 1st partition and keep your data on the 2nd

Collapse -
by NRecob / July 3, 2004 1:40 PM PDT

heynow, thank you for your suggestions. I'll try replacing that .dll file and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll do a fresh install. Finally, that's a very good idea about the 2 partitions with the OS on the first and the data on the second--Sony Vaio's are set up that way.

-Nik

Collapse -
same but windows 8
by evjohn13 / August 15, 2013 8:37 AM PDT

hey so i have the same problem except i am running windows 8 and along with not being able to right click any icons i can't open file explorer from a taskbar shortcut. Does it require the same simple fix? (sorry i know this thread is old but it's the only one even close to related i could find)

Collapse -
by NRecob / July 3, 2004 2:20 PM PDT

I just replaced my cnvshell.dll file (spare at http://www.dynamiclink.nl/ ) as suggested by heynow and my right click function has been restored!!!!!!
Thank you heynow, dynamiclink.nl and CNET!

-Nik Recob
Atlanta

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.