MacBooks forum

Resolved Question

Why can't I get any audio when I use my TV as a monitor?

by TezaStone / January 9, 2013 4:08 AM PST

I have an old model (2010) Macbook Pro...the kind that only transfers video but not audio through the hdmi cable.

I have this tv:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5247576

With these terminals:

Inputs
Composite
Component In
HDMI
RF Input
Ethernet (LAN)
DVI Audio In
Outputs
Optical Digital Audio
Audio Output
HDMI Ports 2

So I can get video with a mini-dvi to hdmi adaptor and hdmi cable, but I can't get sound.

I didn't know what "in" and "out" meant when it came to terminals ( complete newbie at this!) so I tried an audio cable, an optical digital audio cable and a DVI Audio cable. The audio and optical digital audio didn't work becuse they're output terminals, but neither did the DVI Audio in!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there no way to get sound from my Macbook Pro to this tv???

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

TezaStone has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why can't I get any audio when I use my TV as a monitor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why can't I get any audio when I use my TV as a monitor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TezaStone

Collapse -
Before we condemn the TV,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 8:05 AM PST

a question.

When you plug a pair of headphones or speakers into the Audio out of the Macbook Pro, do you get any sound?

If No, then you are flogging a dead horse trying to get sound into the TV,
if Yes, then a closer look at the manual or a call to Samsung Tech Support may be in order

I didn't find a manual for the 55" version but did find one for the 40" one. Most of the audio stuff refers to taking the sound out of the TV but does make reference to a set of Audio in plugs for connecting things like a DVD player.

P

Collapse -
I'd really like to know!
by TezaStone / January 9, 2013 11:35 AM PST

Yes!! The headphones work just fine, that's how I watch Youtube videos on my 55" but listen on my earphones!

I've read that manual...but I didn't understand! Tech speak was tough for me, the deal is my Macbook is also an old model and doesn't send sound through the hdmi cable.

Collapse -
which should not be a problem once
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 8:18 PM PST

you find out where the Audio IN line is.

Call Samsung Tech support

P

Collapse -
Audio in on Samsungs are pretty all over the map.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 2:14 AM PST

But there is usually a set of jacks for COMPONENT input and the audio input is usually for that along with a SPECIFIC DVI/HDMI port that can take the audio input. the other HDMI ports can't use external audio.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.