Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why can I not install graphics drivers in Windows XP?

by Tok_Pisin / December 28, 2009 6:18 AM PST

Hi, I recently reinstalled XP but to my chagrin, it seems I cannot install the manufacturers drivers for graphics adapter or monitor, but am stuck with the generic, default drivers whose performance is horrible.
It takes forever for the screen to update. I used to know what to do to fix this, but have forgotten how.
Can anybody clue me in?
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why can I not install graphics drivers in Windows XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why can I not install graphics drivers in Windows XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Errorrs or what?
by tubaloth / December 28, 2009 6:25 AM PST

What happens when you try to install the drivers? Does it say those drivers are not the correct ones? Do you get an error that happens?
If you do, search the internet with the same wording.

Have you tried going to the Manufacture site (Either of your computer or of the graphic drivers) and see if they have more up to date ones

Collapse -
Let me share this scenario.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 10:05 AM PST

1. Install XP SP2? Check!
2. Install video card driver. FAIL!

I have seen this too many times. Here's my short XP install routine.

1. Install XP SP2 (or SP3).
2. Install motherboard driver package AKA "chipset drivers."
3. Install MSUAA if required.
4. Install Audio (tip!!! I found this is really important when I want HDMI audio support!)
5. Install Video card drivers.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: Why can I not install...
by Tok_Pisin / December 28, 2009 7:33 PM PST

tubaloth: "What happens when you try to install the drivers? Does it say those drivers are not the correct ones? Do you get an error that happens?
If you do, search the internet with the same wording.
Have you tried going to the Manufacture site (Either of your computer or of the graphic drivers) and see if they have more up to date ones"

I don't even get the option to install any drivers. I wish there were any way I could attach screenshots to posts - that would make the problem obvious at a glance...it's no wonder almost all other forums have that option.

Anyway, I right-click the desktop and select Properties > Settings > Adapter > Properties > Driver and get a dialog headed "Properties for VGA-Save".

Any options are grayed out, VGA-Save is the default Microsoft driver, I suppose. Anyway: nothing to do there. Going back a step I select the Monitor tab whereupon get a dialog headed "Properties for (Standard Monitor)".

Again, any options are grayed out except OK and Cancel.
It's not like I haven't done this before - it may well be my 50:th XP installation in the past two years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess I'll just reinstall.

It's a good thing that's my second, obsolete PC. The one I write this reply on is, thank goodness, running Windows 7 where everything just works from the word go.

R. Proffitt:I install from a compiled disc which has some Windows 7 features tacked on (e.g. Aero) so I don't have the options you describe.

Thank you both for replying.

Collapse -
"install from a compiled disc which"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 12:33 AM PST

Which means you may never get this working. Try the real Microsoft issued CD or DVD next time. Those cracked versions are trouble and we know it.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: "install from a compiled disc which"
by Tok_Pisin / December 30, 2009 12:00 PM PST

Yes, that's sound advice, nobody would fault you for that.
Toe the line it is, then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.