Desktops forum

General discussion

why are the sentences on monitor faded out

by la321 / March 24, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

I have a dell inspiron 530s i need to know why my monitor gets blurry with the words on screen they are faded out like when a pen writes there is hardly ink left http://tinypic.com/r/1q4fiw/6

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why are the sentences on monitor faded out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why are the sentences on monitor faded out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The picture is not that good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
its already selected
by la321 / March 26, 2013 6:48 AM PDT

cleartype is already turned on when i scroll up and down the sentences become faded like it's losing color like when a pen writes and runs of out ink some of the letters aren't full i took another picture http://i45.tinypic.com/2dha3rd.png the sentence that says come on its tuesday its faded out this is my first time experiencing this

Collapse -
Some web sites do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: its already selected

There's another reason for this. It happens when we change to a non-native resolution. Here's an article on that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

There is nothing to force sites to use cleartype or native resolutions so chalk it up to technology limitations. Keep in mind I'm just an electronics designer so you are not showing me anything that I would call broke.

Tell more and maybe we can improve it.
Bob

Collapse -
websites
by la321 / March 26, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

my monitor have an entire paragraph faded out is what i call broke my monitor didn't used to do this i was thinking it had something to do with resolution but nothing like that was changed it only does it when i scroll it has happened on cnet as well but it never used to do this on any website

Collapse -
Keep in mind I only have what you tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: websites

I had this happen on a machine that the user had been updating video drivers. Also I've seen this as Windows runs out of memory so with that many tabs open, it's not a sure thing.

Try this. Click somewhere in the web page and then try Control+A and see if the highlighted version is readable. I had some old web site that was just bad and had to use this trick to read the page.

So in short, you must know your PC. That is, know that you have the resolution set to native as well as the supported video drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
I've been able to confirm that, on my own PC,
by Steven Haninger / March 28, 2013 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: websites

turning off hardware acceleration in the browser setting for both Firefox and IE eliminate the color distortion. I don't know what the downside might be but, after a couple of days of testing, this works. If I re-enable hardware acceleration, I begin to see the issue again.

Collapse -
I'm experiencing the same issue shown in your pic upload
by Steven Haninger / March 27, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

It will happen with random text on a page. It appears to be a garbling of the colors. Sometimes a screen refresh makes it go away or I drag the mouse through it to make the distortion go away. Sometimes it comes right back in a few seconds. I'd posted my problem in the Computer help forum as it seemed to begin when I (reluctantly) installed IE 10. I don't use IE 10 but rarely and the issue was happening in Firefox as well. I played around with Clear Type but that didn't do anything. I rolled back my video driver to one from about 6 months ago and that did nothing. I uninstalled IE 10 and the problem seemed to disappear for a while. It returned but was not as severe. I re-installed IE 10 and it's definitely worse than with IE 9 but what that has to do with FF is beyond me. I'm not convinced that the updated browser didn't do something to the foundation of the OS that remained when I uninstalled it. Suspicion, suspicion. BTW, my PC is home built by myself about 3 1/2 years ago, runs Windows 7 Pro and has been operating flawlessly until this odd screen problem. Still, things are aging. I have another monitor I might try that. I could even restore an older hard drive image from months back but have been too lazy to do so. It's more of a nuisance than a worry right now. In any even, you're not crazy. I'm seeing exactly what you are.

Collapse -
Another possibility in addition to my other comments
by Steven Haninger / March 27, 2013 9:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.