Cameras forum

General discussion

Why are my pictures yellow?

by jpld / January 18, 2011 3:03 PM PST

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem??? I bought a Canon Powershot SX30IS and as I played with it I noticed that my pictures on AUTO mode all contained a yellow hue colour. My beige walls became yellow. My daughters' faces were yellow etc.. My white shutters in my kitchen have become yellow in the pictures. My friend has the same camera and is experiencing the same problem. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone would have. Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are my pictures yellow?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are my pictures yellow?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SX30IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 18, 2011 11:09 PM PST

It is possible that you have inadvertently set something that is causing the problem.
You should Reset the camera.
Look in your camera User Guide on page 53.
"Returning the Camera to Default Settings"

If that does not fix the problem, a question.
Does any of your outside pictures show this problem?
What type of lighting in your house?
(florescent - incandescent - other)

Collapse -
Why are my pictures yellow?
by jpld / January 19, 2011 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Canon SX30IS

Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have reset my camera but the problem still exists. I brought my camera back to where I purchased it and the technician said that he thought that there was something wrong in the AUTO setting with the light. I also brought my camera to a professional local photographer who uses Canon exclusively and he said that he believed that the computer in the camera was not programmed properly. He noticed that on one of my shots where the wall is yellow and it is reflecting onto my daughter's face and making it yellow (in AUTO mode and once in Program mode) that the ISO was very low and the shutter speed was very low. He found this quite bizarre.

I have not yet taken pictures outside. My friend has the very same camera (bought 2 weeks before mine) and her outdoor shots were beautiful. When she came to my house to see if her camera had the same results as mine she certainly did. We took shots of our daughters and the white shutters in the background became yellow. This did not happen when I tried the same shot with my HP Photosmart camera. The shutters remained white. She does get that yellow hue in her shots as well.

In my house I do have fluorescent lighting in the basement where my walls and my daughters' faces turned yellow (even when using the fluorescent setting). Upstairs I have ordinary lightbulbs. What bothers me is that my HP never gave me this problem and I have been taking pictures in my home with my HP for 5 years now. Now with the Canon, you have to take a shot 4-5 times before it comes out without either a blur or yellow. Putting it on Program seems to help sometimes but that makes shots blurry.

As you can see I am quite frustrated. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a good shot. I hope that this gives you more info as to what is happening.

Thanks for your time.

JPLD

Collapse -
White Balance
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 19, 2011 11:00 PM PST

I was thinking that the white balance adjustment was causing the problem.
Some cameras do not give perfect color using the Auto white balance.
In which case you must use either fluorescent or incandescent (tungsten) setting.

Sounds like you have tried that.

You should telephone Canon Service and see what they say.
Since that is a fairly new camera, there may be a problem that can be fixed with updated firmware.

If such a problem is out there, they need to know about it.

Collapse -
White Balance
by jpld / January 20, 2011 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: White Balance

Thanks so much for your advice.

I have already sent my photos to Canon and I have e-mailed them since then and they still have not responded. Either they are still working on the problem or ignoring it. Who knows!!!!???

Anyway, thanks again. Your time and consideration are much appreciated.

JPLD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.