Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Why are internet speeds slower than what I pay for?

by bostonfdt / December 24, 2010 4:27 AM PST

If I pay for 10 mbps download, then when I download something (like software), it only shows speeds of about 730 KB/S. Why are those speeds so much slower than what I pay for?
Thanks,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are internet speeds slower than what I pay for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are internet speeds slower than what I pay for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One word, Traffic.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 4:53 AM PST

What you are subscribed to is the ISP's 'optimum' speed. All factors being in your favor, that is what you 'could' get.

But factors interfere, and we rarely get what we paid for. In some nations, (here in the UK for example), rows and arguments are brewing between the ISP's and the regulators about this lack of transparency, but in my view progress will be slow.

What factors?

Traffic. If you log on at a time when the rest of your neighborhood is also logged on, then your available bandwidth will reduce because it is being shared by others.

Maintenance. The ISP is always working on something or other, and that can, at times, affect bandwidth.

Shared network? If you are on a home network, or some other shared network, then other users of the ISP connection will be using your bandwidth.

Also you need to be clear about what you signed up for and what you are currently getting. 730 KB/s may be good. If it was 730 Kb/s that will be 8 times, (or 10 times depending who you talk to), slower than 730 KB/s. The link below may help explain that in more detail;
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-network-speeds.asp

At the end of the day a call to your ISP might be useful, especially if you still feel that you are being short-changed.

Mark

Collapse -
The case of the B is the answer . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 24, 2010 10:21 AM PST

lower case b = bit
upper case B = Byte

There are 8 bits in a Byte. Do the math.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.